MY05 Impreza STi

Ekona

So I finally got a chance to attack Jo's Impreza yesterday, after only having it nearly a year! This was a fairly exhausting job given that the paint on the car is actually tougher than I expected, given the notorious tissue-paper thin quality of most Jap paint, which sadly also meant I didn't actually have anything abrasive enough to really get out 100% of the marks on the paint. Tbh I've cleared 99% of the swirls, it's just the deeper marks which I can't shift.

Anyway, onto the pics of before:

front1.jpg

rear1.jpg

side1.jpg

All taken at about 7:30am, hence the moisture on the car from overnight. It is, to be frank, quite filthy! Irritatingly enough I didn't get any shots of the wheels, but they were cleaned with Espuma Revolution using some Envy brushes, and then I moved onto washing the car via TBM with some Zymol shampoo (not my first choice, but I decided to get a bottle as a tester) and then clayed with a Megs blue clay and their bulk QD:

front2.jpg

rear2.jpg

side2.jpg

So at 9:30am, much better! Normally I'd be quite happy with that as a clean and leave it, but I really wanted to see how good I could get that paint so carried onwards.

The following shots were taken at the end of the day, so 4pm roughly. Products used were Megs UC on a Menzerna polishing pad on a DAS-6, followed by some Menzerna FF3K on an identical pad, and then some Blackfire Wet Diamond on a Menzerna finishing pad. That last stuff really is the absolute nuts, despite it being very expensive (comparatively) it is worth every penny. I topped it all off with a layer of DJ Supernatural, which I'll talk about after this last set of pics:

front3.jpg

rear3.jpg

side3.jpg

It's the difference between the second and third side shots that gets me, such a difference in tone and reflection. Going back to the DJ wax though, I used that trial pot I sourced from Tim at Envy a few months back, and I was a little bit sceptical of it at first. Yes, everyone raves about it, but then they rave about a lot of cheaper products that I've used and discarded because I found something better by far. My current was of choice for the 911 is the Swissvax Zuffenhousen, which is incredible stuff but costs a bomb. It's too early to say in terms of how long it will last, but so far I have to say I think the DJ SN is actually a superior product. It goes on far easier than anything I've ever used, including liquid waxes, and because of this you can get a really nice thin coat without having to struggle with it. I left it to cure for about an hour whilst doing the interior, glass, tyres etc and then went to remove it with an average microfibre. It came off almost as easily as it went on, and I don't mean that in a bad way. It had cured properly, left a wonderful shine to the already-gleaming paintwork, and didn't leave any dust as some waxes are want to. I'll see how long it lasts, but right now I'm thinking of swapping the Swissvax for this stuff. Tim's right, it's an absolute joy to work with.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate this isn't as exhaustive as others on here and the pics are minimal, but I just wanted to give an overview of how good some of this stuff can be if you want to give it a go. :)

very nice ! whats the acceleration like compared to the Z ? always fancied one to see what all the fuss is about !

It's a far quicker car than a Zed. This one is running the Prodrive Performance Pack which from the factory gives the car 310bhp, but this car is running a touch more than that. In-gear acceleration is mind blowing, and being one of the later cars with the DCCD means I can send the power rearwards and hold it there at the flick of a switch. If you didn't have to change gear, then this thing is easy as quick as my 911. Never mind that the grip on RE070s is phenomenal too, I can see now exactly why Subaru sold so many of these cars as B-road blasters over the years. Mental.

Have you tried autoglym hd wax? Ive replaced my pot of supernatural with it, i find the hd wax miles better in everyway than dodo juice

Never, but then I'm not a huge fan of AG products in general. I use their tyre spray as it's quite a decent multi-purpose cleaner for engine bay stuff too, and their bumper shine gel is as good as any I've tried, but the rest of their stuff just gets left at the back of the garage now.

As you have said in the other shots the wax gives that extra depth, the black looks deeper in colour. I must do the wifes car which is in black but when clean at the moment it has a touch of grey haze to it :headhurt: