Any heating engineers on here? Advice needed plz!!

SteveW

Evening folks!

I have recently moved into a new house which has a Ideal logic+30 combi boiler and Salus RT500RF timer/stat.

The problem I have is that no matter what I set the thermostat to the boiler, when central heating is turned on, it simply does not go off. The boiler runs constantly no matter how high or low I set the thermostat. I've even tried turning the stat off completely but it still runs constantly. The only way to turn it off is by twisting the knob on the boiler back to hot water only. This means when I have the central heating on I'm running up and down the stairs every half hour to try and maintain an ok temperature, not really ideal.

Anyway as I've said I tried everything and done some checks. The thermostat panel is 'talking' to the receiver upstairs. I know this because if I turn the thermostat to a higher setting than the room is at the small heat call light comes on on the receiver and on the thermostat panel. If I turn the temp below the current room temp the green heat call light on the receiver goes off. I've also changed the batteries just in case, read that this can sort some problems. Sadly though the thermostat will not control the boiler at all.

I think the receiver isn't talking to the boiler because they aren't connected together by any wires. I opened up the receiver today and it is connected to the mains but the three other terminals - NO, COM and NC are not wired to anything.

Inside the boiler there is a link wire between the 'thermostat' connection and 'timer' connection from reading the install manual I've found it suggests that this gives a permanent heat call to the boiler which would explain why the thermostat doesn't control the boiler. I removed the link wire to see what would happen and basically if the boiler setting was put to water and CH the CH would not come on at all, this is what I expected because without the link wire nothing is telling the boiler to come on , I.e. no heat call.

Looking in the manual I believe the receiver should be connected to the boiler. Looking at the manual I think I need to connect 'COM' on the receiver to the 'STAT' connection in the boiler and 'NO' on the receiver to the 'TIMER' connection in the boiler.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Could I do any damage just by giving What I think is right a go?

Alternatively should I just call a plumber? Could I be missing something?

Thank you

Steve

First thing is, is the stat wireless? If so it might need to be married to the boiler.

The check the boiler I would get a small bit of cable and connect it into where the link is in the boiler. This is just an enable and should not carry any voltage. All you have to do is switch the boiler on and make and break the cable to see if the enable is working properly.

The stat I have is battery operated with a hard wired enable signal. This is just a two core cable going back to the boiler.

If u want more help pm me your number and I'll give.u a ring

Hi mate thanks for the advice.

I did the little cable enable as you suggested and the boiler was working so must be a dodgy stat.

One of my mates just qualified as a sparky and is coming over Friday to confirm I'm not being a Jaffa lol.

Thanks again :thumbs: