LSD or not?

JohnUKVetteNut

Dont know if the neighbours like that!

Sounds like you got the same diff setup as i had, go get a quaife diff now :p

I wouldn't go on a track with a quaiffe diff! It's useless in the snow too. It would work on 4x4 jeep in the mud but on track if you lose traction from mounting on a kerb then you are off! Cant see anybody quick enough to left foot brake to apply torque to the flying wheel!!! The quaiffe works when both wheels are on the road or in any case if they have any amount of apllied torque. Hit a kerb, wheel of the road, zero torque, zero power on both wheels, big twitch from the rear....in every way ;)

For the zed it has to be mechanical since there is no e-diff option. :dry:

Viscous is ok as long as the diff is warm enough. the zed slides with any diff on any road.

If you have a mechanical one your car will sound different (not in a nice way) than anything else trying to park it at an Asda car park lets say.

You can't check a vlsd by jacking up the rear wheels. The vlsd is open and becomes lsd only when the oil gets hot and one wheels loses traction (doesn't have to be fully).

Best way to check it is one wheel in sand (you may get stuck) or one wheel on ice :)

Dont know if the neighbours like that!

Sounds like you got the same diff setup as i had, go get a quaife diff now :p

You can't check a vlsd by jacking up the rear wheels. The vlsd is open and becomes lsd only when the oil gets hot and one wheels loses traction (doesn't have to be fully).

Erm, no on both counts. You can check a diff thats in any kind of decent condition by jacking up the rears, and as for the oil getting hot ........ do you know how a viscous LSD actually works? Its certainly nothing to do with heat ....... :bangin:

Best way to check it is one wheel in sand (you may get stuck) or one wheel on ice :)

How are you going to see which wheel(s) is spinning if you are sitting in it? ;)

:lol: quaife works great on track, but stay off the curbs... snow is ok but ice wouldn't.

What causes it to stop sending power went the wheel comes of the ground? I though quaife was mechanical?

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/rearaxle/ra302c.htm

And thats a nice explanation. Stating its rubbish is just someone that never driven a car with one fitted ;) i love mine ( until airborne or on ice with one wheel... neither likely to happen..)

:lol: quaife works great on track, but stay off the curbs... snow is ok but ice wouldn't.

What causes it to stop sending power went the wheel comes of the ground? I though quaife was mechanical?

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/rearaxle/ra302c.htm

And thats a nice explanation. Stating its rubbish is just someone that never driven a car with one fitted ;) i love mine ( until airborne or on ice with one wheel... neither likely to happen..)

It will only happen once :p

I didn't say they are rubbish. I meant they are good only for boy racers when fitted on the Zed ;):lol:

And as for the above comment on vlsd I am sure I know very well what a vlsd is, just as I know tonnes on viscosity mate (not you anders...think it was Mr Dowcra). It works better warm as it feels more progressive and not as snappy, and if you had ever done 15 laps round cadwell at max attack on a dry day you would know that even with the nismo fins on the turtle shell it soon overheats and doesn't feel right.

On the other hand a mechanical one with braking plates lets say is ridiculous for anything else but drifting (locked 2 way and 100% torque) and track days...( at 1.5 way and 60-100% torque...when you wanna lift off wheels that is). Your choice. :)

And as for the above comment on vlsd I am sure I know very well what a vlsd is, just as I know tonnes on viscosity mate (not you anders...think it was Mr Dowcra). It works better warm as it feels more progressive and not as snappy, and if you had ever done 15 laps round cadwell at max attack on a dry day you would know that even with the nismo fins on the turtle shell it soon overheats and doesn't feel right.

On the other hand a mechanical one with braking plates lets say is ridiculous for anything else but drifting (locked 2 way and 100% torque) and track days...( at 1.5 way and 60-100% torque...when you wanna lift off wheels that is). Your choice. :)

Having done 52 miles drifting round Mallory with a standard S13 200SX LSD I can promise you that they work when cold and dont stop working when they are warm either. The actual oil in the diff is not what causes them to lock and unlock, its a different substance within a cylinder within the diff itself. You know that though, right? :)

As for your second comment, thats absolute rubbish. Again, Ive driven 350's, Skylines and 200's with mech diffs and they are immeasurably better than a viscous LSD, not least because they are totally predictable. Most racecars run some kind of mechanical diff, or a totally locked one, they tend to know what they are doing. Again, on my drive Ive got a 350 with a standard LSD, a 200SX with a 1.5 way and another with a 2 way, Im not talking about what a bloke down the pub told me once.

Likewise, Helical diffs (Quaife) are actually very good track tools, I know a good few Time Attack guys running them - they arent exactly "boy racers" :dry: