New Aerial

spursmaddave

I have done a search honest :blush:

Has anyone changed their aerial?

I have a JVC DAB add-on unit and also a DVB box that would both require a DAB aerial.

Options are -

Stick on window type aerial :thumbdown: had one of these with my Pure Highway DAB in the Leon and they suck

Mini aerial - I just got one of these for the Pure Highway, basically a little magnetic aerial that you can either stick on the roof or use inside the car, have to say I am quite impressed, good reception and thats just from being stood up on the parcel shelf

Bolt on roof aerial :scare: I am not drilling a hole in the roof of my Zed!

DAB adapter - a cable that runs off the normal aerial and gives DAB reception as well, reviews are very patchy can be good but most probably pants especially with a stubby aerial!

Replace the existing aerial with a DAB / AM / FM one - this is what I am leaning to as it will give the best results, ok it may be a little bigger than a stubby but still not as big as the stock aerial.

Has anyone replaced or had to replace (via vandalism etc) their existing aerial including the base, I am guessing it isn't hugely difficult to get to the underside of the base hopefully. I am looking at one of these as a starting point -

BgVpo0ZuAwmczntSBTbBXzea9u12lT3OdFGD_M2LXZ-iYFymOHG5aME-1XteWWVhOgKw4nWIez3PNLdvb7OqeEc2c0CJkFDCY1Z2oocf223vegpJWwtZG9RF_MMt5hksOHWqRTxoy7TCtJM

JVC HAL2 DAB/AM/FM roof Mount Antenna

If you're going to change your head lining then I think you should drill a hole in your roof while you're at it :scare:

Can Darren, Jim, Zugs, Will and I watch please :shrug::lol:

Lol +1 to that, ill bring the beers.

Yes you can drink it through a straw.... through the hole in the roof!

Just to make things clear.... I am not making a hole in the roof of my Zed :lol:

I am probably going to take off the standard aerial base and replace the whole thing with something a bit better.... although I might have a try with a splitter cable first as they are only £20 :thumbs:

Internal dab aerial is pretty good. :thumbs: I have a jvc long one. hal something maybe?

Ive heard them converters can be pretty rubbish as the normal aerial isnt designed to pick up dab signal. It will but it might not be great.

For any exterior aerials they want to drill holes. I asked about using a exterior one in my boot and was told it wouldnt work, same with under the bonnet.

You can hardly see the windscreen aerial as its just a line. I havent had a problem with it yet TBH. if your signal does run out whilst listening to say radio 1 it will switch to radio1 fm but this never really happens. Even on the country roads to Stonehaven I didnt have a DAB drop out. :thumbs:

Cheers Dblock :thumbs: i have seen those type on dabonwheels might give one a try. I agree after looking at reviews of the converters its not good and most suggest not bothering if you have a 'bee sting' type aerial!

I guess the way to go is try a really good glass mount one and see how it goes :thumbs:

Ive got a JVC KT DB1000 coming via eBay to have a play with, been trying to get one since I got my JVC HU!!! Not easy to find and when you do they are VERY sought after...

Tell me about it. Tbh thats the whole reason I got my jvc for the DAB. It worked out at £250 for the dab box for my clarion and 90 odd quid for the jvc box on eBay. You need to check the availability map from where you live and where you drive to. If its pretty much covered then an interior one will be fine. But it reception is sketchy you need a magnetic base one.

The guy on dabow's is Pretty friendly. I picked his brains about getting one. I ended up getting it from CAD with a discount code easily found online.

Cheers Dblock :thumbs: i have seen those type on dabonwheels might give one a try. I agree after looking at reviews of the converters its not good and most suggest not bothering if you have a 'bee sting' type aerial!

I guess the way to go is try a really good glass mount one and see how it goes :thumbs:

Ive got a JVC KT DB1000 coming via eBay to have a play with, been trying to get one since I got my JVC HU!!! Not easy to find and when you do they are VERY sought after...

• 2 weeks later...

Stubby Aerial today

Tints are going on tomorrow

Got a tax disc holder and dust caps in the post.

After that, maybe a bit of interior lighting...followed by potentially parking sensors and iPod connectivity!

If I get a new job and a nice payrise...then 20" rims might also get purchased!

Can't get rid of this flippin bug!