Finally have myself a decent car :-)

Hi & :welcome: to the forum. Now that is one hell of a jump from the Fabia :D

Agreed. Couldn't wait to get rid of the damn thing. But a now that I have some NCB and two years behind me, my insurance costs have halved(!). Still expensive compared to you guys, but I got a very pleasant surprise with the 350z. 200 extra hp will be fun...

Welcome!

Super congrats on passing your test at the age you did. Apparently it is a LOT harder the older you get. Even the difference between 20 and 30 is a big difference apparently.

Plus, living in London you don't "need" to drive.... But look at what you have achieved... a Zed. Congrats... :#1:

Don’t worry, I’m far from a boy racer and have always driven very cautiously. I guess you can’t exactly hoon a Fabia though! Icy conditions noted and I will be taking extreme care in my new baby.

As for learning at the (ahem, not so ancient) age of 30, I’d say that it wasn’t a problem. On the contrary, I think you can take things at a more relaxed pace and learn the ropes properly, rather than be in a rush to pass. Learning in London was tiring because you have to concentrate so hard around here. Much more traffic (vehicle and human!) to negotiate. I think it was a solid educational foundation though!

Guys,

Did some more test driving today and have some questions re the gearbox. Is it common for 350s that have a lot of city mileage to have "looser" gears in 1>3? It just feels like it's not engaging properly in those gears, whereas you can really feel the box "bite" and engage when you slip it in 4/5/6. The stick is ever so slightly wobblier in the lower gears too - fractionally more play. Weak bushes/nylon or potentially a bigger problem? FYI the car has a brand new clutch.

Cheers,

DT

OK I've just seen this on a US forum:

"turned out to be that the bolt that holds the shifter to the shifter linkage under the car had unthreaded itself and was very loose causing the linkage to seperate. They replaced the bolt and torqued it down to spec and now it feels just like i rolled it off the show room floor. Very happy."

With respect to a guy describing a similar issue to mine. Not quite sure if explains why it might be a bit looser in 1/2/3 and not 4/5/6 though...