AMS coilovers fitting

leodspider

So i recieved my coilover from Chris (tarmac) after taking on his special offer.

b71be7f5.jpg

Got these fitted on Saturday night along at my mates house as he has all the tools, we set about dismantling the fronts first as we knew they would be most tricky. Im not going to detail about everything we done, and i didnt get a chance to take to much pictures. so basically strut bar off, wheels off, a bit of swearing and cursing to get the old parts out, also i found out my front suspension has been replaced not so long ago presumably before i purchased the car. so back to fitting the new coilovers on.

84d05ae7.jpg

da646945.jpg

7060b1b7.jpg

0af52168.jpg

0ea5d223.jpg

173f6229.jpg

.once they where fitted i realised something was wrong if you look closely at the next picture youll see the part which hold the hoses for the brakes is bent e035f82b.jpg. no biggie i thought so i hammered it straight.

only to realise another problem , its not shown on the picture but basically one of the three rods which protrude out the struts was bent a good 20 degrees , so my mate and i has the carefully pull it straight. 0ea5d223.jpg ( the furthest away bolt )

So front wheels back on, dropped to a ridiculous 40 mm, and strut brace reattached, 4b289d9a.jpg8ec8d584.jpg

i was going to put my kinetix manifold cover that i got from alex but i couldn't find the imperial Allen key :( .

After that, we started working on the rears, The rears where easy as pie, 20 mins max each side. the only problem is shown in the last picture, when we realised that AMS didn't supply a bolt, so we had to cut the ones off the old damper to make it fit.

0154b370.jpg ( before installation the gap was too big lol.

97da9667.jpg

59bee3b2.jpg

3ea4ea48.jpg

ae076790.jpg

43b76ac3.jpg

58bf9bbb.jpg

I will update the thread once i get the chance to wash my car, and show how low it is, i will be raising it so its sitting at a 30mm drop, cause the bottom is scraping mad. next on the list is to spacers, get the front and rear camber sorted, wheel alignment , My mot which was due since the 2nd , and get my tyres which should arrive on Monday fitted.

The first impression is these are well built other than the faults i discovered, it could be damaged in transit but they weren't bad so im not complaining. I just need to sort out the ride height and the damping levels , atm seeing as its a 20way , ive set it 6 clicks at the front and 8 at the rear, but its too spongy a ride so it looks like im gonna set it up for a firmer ride. even tho its a bit spongy steering feels good, and it does in a way feel more grippy in the tighter turns. when i "accidently" lose the back end i can find it more controllable , until i straighten up when it feels spongy again. all in all good kit, good value for money, and if your interested send tramac a pm hell look after you.

Shift worker so 4.30am rise yuk! What is the min level you can drop the car on these? My exhasust is a bit low at the moment. Do the rears have damp adjusters on the top? I.e. Did you have to drill some holes or do you have to take them off everytime? Looks cool tho, very low,are you going for crazy stance setup at some point in the future?

The rears and fronts both have adjustments in them , the rears are a little more tricky to get to but, a aleen key is supplied to make adjustments a lil bit easier. No drilling was required tho which was on the + side. Ill prob set it about 30-35 mm drop, with a slight -ve camber later on for better handling. im looking at fast road use, im currently in the frame of mind to go FI but recently i wanted to do something different and maybe go High Comp N/A build, i know not alot of power can be drawn out with just H/C N/A build, but esprit, a company in japan managed around 340/350 bhp by going N/A. The reason i dont wanna just go for looks is cause im planning to eventually turn this into a fun weekend/track car. Going high power N/A would give me a great responding engine, which wouldnt have me worried as much as having a turbo or supercharger strapped on.