Garage basics

Daryl

Thats handy,Costco is just round the corner from the new gaff. :yahoo:

Thanks for the offer,but im on a trade members card through my dads business. Cant believe i didnt think of that........

They normally get more car/tool/garage stuff in march time :thumbs:

I might have a trolly jack and axel stands going in a few months

Its also a good plan to put some boarding across the joists to make a little loft for storage :thumbs:

What trolley jack is it if you don't mind me asking? I'm in the market for a decent low entry jack but am loathed to pay the £100+ for one...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats handy,Costco is just round the corner from the new gaff. :yahoo:

Thanks for the offer,but im on a trade members card through my dads business. Cant believe i didnt think of that........

They normally get more car/tool/garage stuff in march time :thumbs:

I might have a trolly jack and axel stands going in a few months

Its also a good plan to put some boarding across the joists to make a little loft for storage :thumbs:

What trolley jack is it if you don't mind me asking? I'm in the market for a decent low entry jack but am loathed to pay the £100+ for one...

Based on what I've done with our garage, a few pointers (lessons learnt mainly)

Painting wall - seal the walls with some cheap white masonary paint thinned down, this stops it seaping in and taking multiple coats. Also you can get a good 15/20litre pots from Wickes usually discounted. I got through about 50l doing my walls as they are breeze blocks :scare: Makes a massive difference for detailing in that it brightens the place no end but also custs dust down. Dont try and use a cheap spray gun to paint it as you have to thin it so much to get it to work you then get no coverage.

Flooring - I went for race deck type stuff. I've seen loads of painted floors and they all peel eventually unless you can acid etch the floor first and leave it for about a week afterwards. Epoxy is the best but again needs to be acid etched and left for about a week to cure. Its indestructable when done and pretty cheap. Race deck is awesome as its so quick to fit, but it is a bit pricey.

I'd fit about 3 stip lights per car bay (3 for a single, 6 for a double). Nothing worse than fitting a single light in the middle then deciding you dont have enough light at each end. Thats why I ended up fitting 2 extras in my garage and its great for a spot of polishing when the nights are dark.

Make sure you have a good seal around the bottom of the garage door. Wickes do weather seals which work well. Once you have a proper floor and painted walls you'll be amazed at the crap that blows under the garage door without some better sealing.

Based on what I've done with our garage, a few pointers (lessons learnt mainly)

Painting wall - seal the walls with some cheap white masonary paint thinned down, this stops it seaping in and taking multiple coats. Also you can get a good 15/20litre pots from Wickes usually discounted. I got through about 50l doing my walls as they are breeze blocks :scare: Makes a massive difference for detailing in that it brightens the place no end but also custs dust down. Dont try and use a cheap spray gun to paint it as you have to thin it so much to get it to work you then get no coverage.

Flooring - I went for race deck type stuff. I've seen loads of painted floors and they all peel eventually unless you can acid etch the floor first and leave it for about a week afterwards. Epoxy is the best but again needs to be acid etched and left for about a week to cure. Its indestructable when done and pretty cheap. Race deck is awesome as its so quick to fit, but it is a bit pricey.

I'd fit about 3 stip lights per car bay (3 for a single, 6 for a double). Nothing worse than fitting a single light in the middle then deciding you dont have enough light at each end. Thats why I ended up fitting 2 extras in my garage and its great for a spot of polishing when the nights are dark.

Make sure you have a good seal around the bottom of the garage door. Wickes do weather seals which work well. Once you have a proper floor and painted walls you'll be amazed at the crap that blows under the garage door without some better sealing.

My Dad and I painted the floor of their current house when we moved in in August 99. It still hasn't peeled and looks perfect. It has the snow blower on it, BBQ and loads of other stuff on one side which put crap all over it. The other side has always had the toys (Stag and SL) stored and as the toy is used it's been run over loads.

My Dad and I painted the floor of their current house when we moved in in August 99. It still hasn't peeled and looks perfect. It has the snow blower on it, BBQ and loads of other stuff on one side which put crap all over it. The other side has always had the toys (Stag and SL) stored and as the toy is used it's been run over loads.

When it comes to painting anything, if the perpetration work is done properly it should last. :thumbs:

When it comes to painting anything, if the perpetration work is done properly it should last. :thumbs:

Yup, he probably had it done properly. Nowt wrong with painting it, you just need to do it when its reasonable warm and be prepared to prep properly and leave it to cure properly. Not always an option if you need to use the garage all the time.

Yup, he probably had it done properly. Nowt wrong with painting it, you just need to do it when its reasonable warm and be prepared to prep properly and leave it to cure properly. Not always an option if you need to use the garage all the time.

not necessarily the best for keeping dust down but carpet tiles are my number one flooring for the garage! really helps make the place feel warmer.. makes the floor a nicer place to sit lay crawl on when working on the car and any spillages and or accidents can just be replaced with a new tile or two.

not got tiles down in my curent garage but had the offer of a full carpet from a mates place so went with that. good workbench with a vice bolted to it. power is a must and have full trip swiched power in mine with a lighting circuit and power circuit with power outlets at both ends and side of the garage. also have a treble joist over the piers in the middle of the garage which comes in handy for hoisting or lifting engines, bikes or anything heavy. fully boarded out loft space with a huge trimmed out access hatch for getting the larger items up and down from the space up there.

i also have a remote control roller shutter door on mine which not only helps keep the door nice and sealed at the bottom but makes opening and closing a breeze.

all that said i dont keep any cars in my garage, cant fit it in there!... just my ZX12r, bike lift/workbench, fishing gear, bait freezer, air compressor, jet wash and many many old pots of paint! lol

not necessarily the best for keeping dust down but carpet tiles are my number one flooring for the garage! really helps make the place feel warmer.. makes the floor a nicer place to sit lay crawl on when working on the car and any spillages and or accidents can just be replaced with a new tile or two.

not got tiles down in my curent garage but had the offer of a full carpet from a mates place so went with that. good workbench with a vice bolted to it. power is a must and have full trip swiched power in mine with a lighting circuit and power circuit with power outlets at both ends and side of the garage. also have a treble joist over the piers in the middle of the garage which comes in handy for hoisting or lifting engines, bikes or anything heavy. fully boarded out loft space with a huge trimmed out access hatch for getting the larger items up and down from the space up there.

i also have a remote control roller shutter door on mine which not only helps keep the door nice and sealed at the bottom but makes opening and closing a breeze.

all that said i dont keep any cars in my garage, cant fit it in there!... just my ZX12r, bike lift/workbench, fishing gear, bait freezer, air compressor, jet wash and many many old pots of paint! lol

That sounds like a mans dream! lol

Been advised that when painting the floor,to paint up the walls about 1ft. That way you can wash the floor easily with the pressure washer etc,and not worry about striping the paint off the walls,and it seals the floor. A guy at work is happily giving me paint for the floor (he ordered too much) so will just paint the walls,and the floor when its empty,and hopefully be able to leave it a few days before moving stuff in.

That sounds like a mans dream! lol

Been advised that when painting the floor,to paint up the walls about 1ft. That way you can wash the floor easily with the pressure washer etc,and not worry about striping the paint off the walls,and it seals the floor. A guy at work is happily giving me paint for the floor (he ordered too much) so will just paint the walls,and the floor when its empty,and hopefully be able to leave it a few days before moving stuff in.