Squeaky clutch

evilscorp

Just came back from holiday to go for a wee drive in the Z and charge the battery. But ive noticed the clutch has an annoying squeak when its disengaging doesn't seem to be slipping but could this be a sign I need a new clutch? Can the standard one survive with 380-400hp(what I aim to have by the end of the next year or two) or should I go for an uprated one when the time comes?

Just came back from holiday to go for a wee drive in the Z and charge the battery. But ive noticed the clutch has an annoying squeak when its disengaging doesn't seem to be slipping but could this be a sign I need a new clutch? Can the standard one survive with 380-400hp(what I aim to have by the end of the next year or two) or should I go for an uprated one when the time comes?

Sounds like a thrust bearing as it comes under load, may just be a bit dry from lack of use if your real lucky.

Standard clutch will probably take 350hp for a while mine killed the plate in a JWT clutch in just under 20k miles.

Im going with an uprated clutch but I'm looking for 450whp I think you should consider a bit better than standard.

Just my thoughts. :)

Sounds like a thrust bearing as it comes under load, may just be a bit dry from lack of use if your real lucky.

Standard clutch will probably take 350hp for a while mine killed the plate in a JWT clutch in just under 20k miles.

Im going with an uprated clutch but I'm looking for 450whp I think you should consider a bit better than standard.

Just my thoughts. :)

I'm still on the original clutch. It has done 20k miles. 2k @ 276hp, 12k @ 380hp and 6k @ 420hp. No sign of slipping yet. :snack:

I will probably get an uprated clutch and flywheel when the time comes, but more so for the lightened flywheel than anything else.

So it's by no means necessary with your power goals, but depends if your gonna do loads of drag starts. :drive1

I'm still on the original clutch. It has done 20k miles. 2k @ 276hp, 12k @ 380hp and 6k @ 420hp. No sign of slipping yet. :snack:

I will probably get an uprated clutch and flywheel when the time comes, but more so for the lightened flywheel than anything else.

So it's by no means necessary with your power goals, but depends if your gonna do loads of drag starts. :drive1

Should have mentioned I track mine a lot and so did the previous owner so clutch life will be reduced a bit - Sam is obviously kinder to his (unless his goes in the next 2000 miles) given the simlar engine setup and power - maybe I should work on that ???

Mine was running a JWT clutch and lightened flywheel (for sale soon needing a new plate) - switching to a carbonetic twin plate (don't go there they are serious $$$$) But I'm aming for some big numbers so went for overkill :)

If your not tracking you will probably be OK.

FYI the Exedy & Fidanza seem to have a good name (not used them myself) or I have also heard JWT clutch and lightweigh fly wheel with and Exedy plate is a good setup should hhold the power well.

Are you going FI then?

Should have mentioned I track mine a lot and so did the previous owner so clutch life will be reduced a bit - Sam is obviously kinder to his (unless his goes in the next 2000 miles) given the simlar engine setup and power - maybe I should work on that ???

Mine was running a JWT clutch and lightened flywheel (for sale soon needing a new plate) - switching to a carbonetic twin plate (don't go there they are serious $$$$) But I'm aming for some big numbers so went for overkill :)

If your not tracking you will probably be OK.

FYI the Exedy & Fidanza seem to have a good name (not used them myself) or I have also heard JWT clutch and lightweigh fly wheel with and Exedy plate is a good setup should hhold the power well.

Are you going FI then?

My car is at 58k and I bought it with 38k still on the first clutch(i hope) altho I drove my old car for ages until I was TOLD by a mechanic I needed a new clutch....gearbox....

A new gearbox?? Apart from a little noise that now appears to have stopped :thumbs: are you having other problems then?

Gearbox should be fine - and if your on the first clutch it can't have had a very hard life!

Cool on the SC BTW - which one you going for?

My car is at 58k and I bought it with 38k still on the first clutch(i hope) altho I drove my old car for ages until I was TOLD by a mechanic I needed a new clutch....gearbox....

A new gearbox?? Apart from a little noise that now appears to have stopped :thumbs: are you having other problems then?

Gearbox should be fine - and if your on the first clutch it can't have had a very hard life!

Cool on the SC BTW - which one you going for?

Im not sure if im just over analysing some slight noises that may have been around for a while, mabe its due to the Z not being my daily anymore. As for the S/C the Vortech seems to make more power(larger) than the HKS one so thats my reason for going for it. Im not after a tuner kit just want the whole package including fueling; larger injectors, fuel pump etc. Have the time and spare car to fit the kit myself so just need to find a UK supplier....... and the £4-5grand :lol: