Suspension refresh

Mega

Sorry, second topic from me on this subject but first was some time ago.

I am going to pursue a suspension refresh next month. So far I've lined up:

- The compression arm bushes (replace with poly?)

- ARB bushes (replace with poly)

- ARB droplinks (Front and back)

- Shocks

And then once Rays and summer rubbers are back on:

Full alignment

Is that the whole list of things I should do? And can you recommend brands for each of the components I'm looking at? :)

Don't want to spend too much, but appreciate it needs doing and quality components cost extra

Cheers

Dave

A few other bushes if you can afford the super pro ones?

Aaah, too much bush!

What have I missed out? :) I thought I'd caught the 'extra' one when I remembered the banana arm ones (heh) :p:)

I might as well get it all done. The whole lot is coming apart as I want ARB drop links done and shocks done so might as well catch everything..

I saw a debate about whiteline(/link.. or similar. Sorry, my memory.. heh) vs super pro. Not sure what way to go. Cost effectiveness is key as I'll not keep the car for too long: But I do want to enjoy it whilst she's mine, so...

Mega, I'm also looking into the Whiteline / Superpro bushes. The Whiteline's cost a fair bit less and I'm keen to find out if they perform as well as the Superpro's.....

You mention that you want to fit new shocks - you'd be best fitting a new bush where the suspension sits in the lower control arm too :thumbs:

By the way Dblock, did i see somewhere that you've used Whitelines on your Zed?

Mega, I'm also looking into the Whiteline / Superpro bushes. The Whiteline's cost a fair bit less and I'm keen to find out if they perform as well as the Superpro's.....

You mention that you want to fit new shocks - you'd be best fitting a new bush where the suspension sits in the lower control arm too :thumbs:

By the way Dblock, did i see somewhere that you've used Whitelines on your Zed?

Well they are still to go on so Im not sure. TBH i bet there is nothing in it.

I'll definitely go whiteline. Better than OEM but not as silly on the prices.

My suspension was pretty bad when I got the car and worse after 6 months of abuse. I'm sure whatever I go will be such a massive improvement..

Do they sell online at all? I would like to price everything up and see where I stand

Cheers

Dave

Personally I'm going with the energy suspension bushes, I've had them on numerous tracked Honda's before, saw they did a kit for the 350 at a good price so will give them a punt!

I just did a search for the Energy bushes and found this trader thread viewtopic.php?f=115&t=50146&hilit=b2+energy

It seems that they are popular in the US Zed community too....excellent value if they're as good as you say ds2000 :thumbs:

They were the greatest thing I ever did to my old Prelude's (had 2x that I fully polybushed)

I'll be ordering the masterkit (black not red) and the rear arm kit (as I'm sure thats separate). Have a look at suspension.com.

There were at least 20 - 30 of using their kits on Preludes & Integras that regularly tracked, all the squeaks, clunks and niggles were eliminated from our cars. :)

Why whiteline over superpro can I ask? :)

£/performance. I can't see justification to the extra outlay. Nor have I the opportunity to speak to someone who has had both on this car and can justify on merit one system or the other.

As there are no negative reviews that I've been pointed to for the cheaper option I see no reason to spend more.

Money is an object. ;)

One thing I will say is superpro have the advantage of Jez. The whiteline bushes I got the rears came with instructions but the garage are having trouble finding where the front ones go and don't seem to have much luck with whiteline at the moment. Il see in the next few weeks if they get back to me.

Where you getting them from the US? I take it there is a fair bit of difference in price?

There is a fair difference in price.

I'm looking at getting the following bushes ;

1. inner lower control arm

2. inner upper control arm

3. Compression (banana) arm

4. Shock absorber to lower control arm.

Whitelines price for these is £235. These prices are from Whiteline's aussie website which showed sterling, but not including shipping or (presumably) tax. I haven't looked into a UK source yet.

Superpro from a reputable dealer on here is about £250 but DOESN'T include the shock absorber to lower control arm bush. Shipping is about £10 and there won't be import duty to pay.

The Energy bush set including inner and outer front lower control arm, upper control arm, and compression rod is

$169.00 USD shipped, so duty and carrier charges to be added to this. I think this includes the shock absorber lower control arm bush (outer lower control arm bush??)but this is TBC.

Hope this helps Mega, I thought It'd be useful to share my research :thumbs:

^ As above, I'm going to order from suspension.com as I have done previously. From experience it is cheaper to order more than one kit and divvy up the tax/shipping. If you're serious I can get in contact with them and see what they can do. I think I've had around 5 kits from them over the last 10 years :)

I assume there would be a significant cost getting a garage to do this as well (unless you are mechanically minded and have a press at home?).

Chris

You could do the arb bushes but the rest you could take off and give to a garage to press in and out.

The ES kit only requires the bushes to be pressed out, their kit replaces the shells but having slightly larger bushes than the originals.

You have to burn out one of them but off the top of my head I can't remember which one that is sorry.

Dave

I used whiteline for the diff hangar as superpro don't make them. I have then used the complete superpro kit (from Jez) every other bush on the car replaced!

The diff hangar bushes are a PITA to get out the rest we did with a 12 ton press (available at the Zed Shed) without much trouble.

The labour is the biggest thing with these as you have to strip a lot out to get to some of them like the steering rack :scare:

pics on my build thread around page 24/25 I think.

The new bushes were easy enough to press back in, some don't need a press they are just a push fit. :thumbs:

Some of the adjustable bushes have poor instructions but I just bug Jez and he sorts me out :thumbs: