U.S. Mustang road trip.

Simon+Kat

Around May 2012 Kat and I and 2 other chicks are gonna do a road trip from San Francisco to Dallas (Kats brother lives in Waco). We were hoping to do it in a rented Mustang convertable, but we are wondering if the boot will hold 4 soft bags (with enough clothes etc in each for 1 week, we can wash it all at Kats brothers for the next week). Ive seen a short youtube vid about 'trunk' capacity but they use 2 hard cases so its hard to tell.

Maybe one of you guys has been up close to one of these cars and can give an informed opinion?

Cheers, Simon.

Around May 2012 Kat and I and 2 other chicks are gonna do a road trip from San Francisco to Dallas

I've heard of blue movies that start like that :lol:

On a serious note - have a look on PH and see if there are any for sale near you that you can have a mooch around :thumbs:

Loads of room for four soft bags, you'll be fine :thumbs:

The load is restricted with the roof down. You can't start the 'Stang if the roof assembly is impeded in any way in the boot. You'll need to pack VERY light with 4 bags.

I did a Texas road trip in April this year and L.A./San Fran a few years ago and both times the 'Stang boot was too small for 2 average suitcases and 2 medium sized shoulder bags and we put it them on the back seat. Also, the people in the back will need to be midgets as there is NO leg room.

I'd hire 2 cars. :thumbs:

Hope this helps:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48493

A convertible in Texas in May?...a hot day will burn you up,all the locals will have their tops up in the heat of the day.

I wouldn't choose a convertible for this tbh,and,as stated, you've got space problems in a Mustang with four people.

+1 on the heat. 90-odd in April this year and hit 100 on a couple of days.

In May you will probably have the roof up from 11 o'clock until 5 in Texas. However, when you go over the Sierra Nevadas from San Fran, it'll only just be opening after winter and you'll prob have snow on the ground and it'll be around 40 :cold:

I've got a load of info on your whole route inc. California, Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas so let me know what you need as I've done 3 road trips in the last 8 years. :thumbs:

Thanks Captain, and the others...very inspiring and i cant wait to get there! Can you suggest any other car for rental thats more suitable then? I want something a bit iconic/cool/yankie/fun....

Only 1, a truck. They account for about 50% of all vehicles you'll see and should be fun. :thumbs:

Thanks Captain, and the others...very inspiring and i cant wait to get there! Can you suggest any other car for rental thats more suitable then? I want something a bit iconic/cool/yankie/fun....

Only 1, a truck. They account for about 50% of all vehicles you'll see and should be fun. :thumbs:

A Man Truck! Grrrrrrrr

Or how about a Cadillac or a Town Car. A challenger has more room in it. Any of the proper yank SUVs might be fun - Yukon etc.

Have you seen Kalifornia!! :lol:

Yes, they are pretty pants for room, get a truck. Dodge Ram ought to do it!! :thumbs:

I had one of these Caddy's, which did OK for 1500 miles but gave me a scare in San Fan for a minute, when it died on me on the Bridge!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cadillac+srx+2006&view=detail&id=E117642BA01D4F454E24EA32BB9A314BE3577E70&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR