Strange clunking noise when breaking

AngryHippo

Hi there, I am currently experiencing a very strange clunking noise when I brake. It only seems to happen when I am driving under 10mph and press the break pedal.

I am driving an 04z with brembo brake setup. Had discs and pads changed around 2 months ago and had a p3 service less than one month ago. They were unable to find the cause.

If I could get some help with this matter I would be extremely greatfull.

Jay

Could you be a bit more descriptive?

Is it 1 clunk as in press brake pedal "clunk" car slows

or a repeating noise as in press brake pedal "clunk" "clunk" "clunk" with the "clunk's" slowing as the car does?

does the noise come from front or back?

a single clunk is most likley something loose probably in the suspension.

One last thing do you get the same noise when braking in reverse?

Some pads don't fit as well in some calipers as the originals, and can give a clunk if you have used the brakes in reverse, then use them going forwards, or vice-versa. This is because the pads can move a bit too much in the caliper. I don't know how much of a problem this is on the Brembos.

The symptoms above would just be a single clunk when you first press the pedal, as Keyser was asking about.

Thankyou for the responses regarding the clunking noise. Yes it's just one clunk and it one seems to happen only happen sometimes, but it's not the most pleasant noise to hear when breaking.

It happens mostly when going from reverse, breaking, then going forward and breaking, then a clunk. Sounds like its coming from the rear.

Started to worry about how serious it is. I think the big mistake I made was taking it to kwik fit to sort out the brakes.

Thankyou for the responses regarding the clunking noise. Yes it's just one clunk and it one seems to happen only happen sometimes, but it's not the most pleasant noise to hear when breaking.

It happens mostly when going from reverse, breaking, then going forward and breaking, then a clunk. Sounds like its coming from the rear.

Started to worry about how serious it is. I think the big mistake I made was taking it to kwik fit to sort out the brakes.

Yes I agree :lol: . Try to video it or take it to a knowledable garage and let them poke around. :thumbs:

• 4 months later...

Guys,

I've decided to resurrect this thread as today my Zed seems to have suddenly developed a 'clunk' noise when braking which has never happend before.

Bit of background for you information for you. Had the Zed 'refreshed' on Friday last week where I got a few bits sorted and changed - new compression arms, new bushes, droplinks front and back and that's pretty much it. She was fine on the way home Friday and she was fine on Sunday when I met with choptop and ShortPaul.

Since Sunday she's been stood still and today's the first time I've driven her. Journey in to work this morning was fine, no issues. However I noticed on the way home that when I pressed the brake pedal, at my guess 1 -2 inches of downward pressure there was a slight 'clunk' from the drivers or off-side front wheel / brake / corner.

The brakes worked fine, stopped ok and in fact I had the opportunity, with a straight road and no traffic to try a half a dozen 'brake bedding in' little runs as in "run up to 60, brake to 20, up to 60, brake to 20...." etc. Car braked without any problems, no shimmying or anything like that other than the slight clunk, which i got the vaguest sensaton of through the brake pedal.

When changing direction there doesn't appear to be any repeat of the 'clunk' and there deosn't seem to be any overly noticible suspension 'clunking' when I go over bumps, ruts, drain covers etc in the road. When gentle with the brakes at low speed there was no clunk, although a couple of times I did notice a slight 'chattering' as if something was running over something rough, then the clunk.

I have pretty new DS2500 pads and pretty decent disks, both of which replaced about this time last year. I don't think that any of the work which got carried out on Friday last week is likely to be the cause of the issue because of the professionalism of the guys carrying out the work and work to the brakes was not planned or undertaken.

Any suggestions as to what it might be guys? I have a feeling that it might just be a loose pad, if anything. Suggestions and views most welcome (clunk just happens once by the way, as in brake...clunk).

• 1 year later...

driving the thread out the grave as mine has started making said clunk brake to a speed of 1-15mph lift of the brake pedal you get a thud/clunk threw the pedal, checked the pedal didn't notice anything odd had a quick nose at the caliper to see if it was loose some how nothing, looked at the brake servo didnt

best way i could describe it is if you braked moved something forward lifted off then that second later what ever moved forward fell back and the impact was translated through the pedal