Pressing in of the compression arm bush

markw20

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum as I have only had my Zed for a month or so. So far very impressed with the technical knowledge on the site as it has already saved me a fortune :) I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to press a new compression arm bush in using a large vice as I don't have/know anyone that has a press and I am planning on fitting it tonight.

The problem that I think you will face is nothing to do with the press load needed to get the bushes out and in, it will be in finding bits of bar of the correct diameter/length to use as dollies to apply the load to the bush. I don't know what the bush looks like but I'll take a decent stab that it is a metal/rubber/metal moulding. You must press the old one out and the new one in using the outer metal of the bush only. Good luck.

We manufacture suspension components and press these types of bushes in by the 1000s.

I'm located in Edinburgh.

Yeah I think your right, if the old one proves to be stubborn i'm planning to use some gentle persuasion via the use of an air chisel although I assume the alloy arm will be more delicate than a steel equivalent. I'm just off out to the garage to find some suitable sockets as I have some large ones that have been used for hub nuts in the past.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Proper press required.

Alex. :)

+1

The problem that I think you will face is nothing to do with the press load needed to get the bushes out and in, it will be in finding bits of bar of the correct diameter/length to use as dollies to apply the load to the bush. I don't know what the bush looks like but I'll take a decent stab that it is a metal/rubber/metal moulding. You must press the old one out and the new one in using the outer metal of the bush only. Good luck.

We manufacture suspension components and press these types of bushes in by the 1000s.

+1

I have a 12 ton press and just for fun I tried it on a compression arm bush to see what happened - just ripped the middle out of it :lol:

I'm waiting for a dolly set that Im borrowing from me father in law to get dropped in :thumbs:

If you can actually get rid of the centre ferrule and rubber, a hacksaw blade can be used to saw a split in the outer metal sleeve. This can then be collapsed in on itself. Clean and lubricate the hole prior to pressing in the new bush and ensure that it enters squarely.

Well after an evenings hard graft the car is now tip top, compression arm bush done, molyslip in the gearbox (changed oil with genuine Nissan stuff last week but it made no difference) and exhaust sleeved with custom made pipe from center section to back box as flanges were corroded and blowing. The pipe was 63mm-60mm internal diameter and 100mm long incase anyone needs to get one made. As for molyslip being snake oil, I would say more like black magic! The gearbox is infinately better now. So now that there is no rattles, crunchy gears or horrible blowing noises from the exhaust it feels like a new car, good night all round I think. Thanks again for the help and advice guys, this forum has saved me no end of trouble :)