Urgent Insurance Question

perold

Worst nightmare ever !

Having not used the Z yesterday I get up this morning, open the garage door and find the roof has collapsed during the wind.

I've had to leave it and dash off to work in a borrowed car but it didn't look good - asbestos sheets scratched all over roof and passenger side and worst of all two joists have fallen slap bang on the roof.

So anyone know if this is covered by motor or house insurance ? Problem being, if it's house, I don't have contents cover

I would get a repair quote first in case its not too expensive as not only will you have an excess to pay you may lose your no claims if they're not protected.

On that note though your home insurance may pay cover the excess????

Anyways bad luck mate hope it all goes well and good luck with the repair :):)

I would get a repair quote first in case its not too expensive as not only will you have an excess to pay you may lose your no claims if they're not protected.

On that note though your home insurance may pay cover the excess????

Anyways bad luck mate hope it all goes well and good luck with the repair :):)

Cheers for the kind messages.

I suspect that even though I have an increased excess to keep the insurance affordable (£450 I think) there is no doubt this is going to be a job which costs many times that, hence I'll have to claim. Most of the panels were scratched and there looked to be hefty dints in the roof where the joists had hit.

Will report the damage later when I can actually get in there !

Are you serious about the asbestos, that would be a much bigger issue

Quite right. Get someone professional in to dispose of it and don't go near it. It's fine until it's disturbed but then the dust gets in the air. :surrender:

Well having dug her out I have to say it wasn't half as bad as it could have been.

Bonnet, front wing, passenger door, roof, and rear wing all have fairly deep scratching from the roof sheets and need respraying. Most astonishing of all was the minimal damage caused by the joists, given that they free-fell 3-4 feet. One came down on the pillar just to the side of the rear window but only caused a small depression, the other which was two joists bolted together came down on the pillar between roof and passenger window but somehow has caused no damage at all ! Have to say I'm well impressed with how the bodywork stood up, you really wouldn't have believed it if you'd seen how bad it looked initially.

Anyway, together with other bits and pieces required like new seals for front & back windows and some repairs to scratches on the mirror housing I've been quoted £1200, which ain't bad considering. My excess is £450 and Direct Line estimate that the NCB loss will cost me £280 & £85 in the next two years, so it's definitely worth claiming.

As for the asbestos, my brother-in-law is a roofer so I let him sort it all out, he reckoned it was safe enough, what with everything being soaked with rain anyway which prevents any dust.