Radio 5 Live Research.

martinmac

This is a request for some feedback so please keep it accurate and ON TOPIC please guys. :)

Hi there,

Hope you are well.

I got your details from the website.

I work for BBC Radio 5 Live.

We’re looking into the prices charged by contractors who are called out to put sand down to soak up oil following a break-down or clear away debris following a crash etc.

We are looking at this because we were contacted by a bloke who broke down and spilled a bit of oil on a slip road.

He called police to warn them and ask for someone to come and clean up the oil to save other motorists from skidding on it.

Later though he was sent a bill for £1,000 which included £141 for the bag of sand.

He thinks the charges are massively over-inflated and is contesting it with the company.

We wanted to find out if this was an isolated case or whether anyone else had been faced with a big bill following a break-down or similar incident.

We wondered if you might be able to help us by getting the message out to members.

It would be great to hear from them if anyone else has fallen victim in the same way.

We are a little against the clock on this one and only have a couple of days so if you are able to help, by sending this out to your members by email, that would be wonderful.

Please feel free to pass on my contact details to anyone you think may be able to help.

Kind regards

Nicola

Note from martinmac, full contact details supplied but removed from the post on here. :)

If that's genuine, then it's written in completely unprofessional language. Bloke? Fallen victim? How is that researching at all?

Tbh the cost sounds fair to me, considering the material would then be contaminated and have to be disposed of accordingly, which isn't cheap.