Kettle boiling noise...

coldel

...since the temperature has dropped, my Zed has developed an odd sound. For the first 2 or 3 minutes after starting up and driving I get an intermittent noise from what sounds like the rear of the car (but could be wrong) which I can only describe as the noise of an old fashioned kettle boiling whistle. It goes for about a quarter a second then stops, then about three or four seconds later it does it again. After a few minutes, it stops altogether...odd?

...since the temperature has dropped, my Zed has developed an odd sound. For the first 2 or 3 minutes after starting up and driving I get an intermittent noise from what sounds like the rear of the car (but could be wrong) which I can only describe as the noise of an old fashioned kettle boiling whistle. It goes for about a quarter a second then stops, then about three or four seconds later it does it again. After a few minutes, it stops altogether...odd?

Mine has always done this - only when it is baltic and only for the first few minutes. I find that properly warming up first before setting off - as in 10 minutes sitting with the engine running helps. Its no biggie though :shrug:I'm actually quite chuffed to finally hear someone else with this noise - I've tried describing it to people before as an Owl-like noise or old fashioned kettle - so you can imagine the looks I've had :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I have this too. Interesting to hear someone else refer to it as an "Owl-like" noise as I described it as sounding like a flock of birds either coo-ing softly or nesting underneath the car.

Again, it seems to be worse when it's really cold. My noise does disappear however when the clutch is depressed, so that if I start the car and keep the clutch pedal depressed you won't hear the birds at all until you release it. Although it's odd it does appear to stop after a couple of minutes and only return again when the engine has completely cooled.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have recently started to get this too. In the mornings when driving for the first mile or two, I get a whirring kind of noise sounds almost hydraulic- like a pump cavitating. This happens between 2500 and 4000rpm and disappears within two minutes, as the car heats up!!!!