Gearbox Oil?

Freebird

Hi guys sorry to be a pain, i have tried doing a search but i fear im useless at getting a definitive answer.

I have just got my zed and want to make sure that the garage i bought it from has not put API 5 in the gearbox so was going to do a change of that and check the engine oil and most likely change that along with a filter. The gear box crunches slightly changing up into 3rd and 6th and has only stated to do this today which is why i want to change the oil asap incase it has API 5 as that will kill the syncros.

However my question is what gearbox oil should i go for?

Would it be an issue if i got 75w-90w? or does it have to be 75w-85w? Also fully synthetic or semi synthetic and perhaps some brand suggestions.

I currently 2 litres of Castrol smx-s fully synthetic 75w-90w which i was going to use in my VX220 before i sold it. Its API is 3 / 4 would that be suitable? If so i could just go to halfrauds and grab another litre to do the zed tomorrow.

Thanks in advance guys, looks like tomorrows list is getting longer ;) haha

check out the opie oils website, you can search car specific and they will give you a list of recommendations for all liquids required for the car.

also a good place to buy from, or just to get the info from

Cheers have had a brief look but wanted to know if there was anything specific that people on here use. If an oil change doesnt fully rectify the issue i might try to stick some Molyslip additive in it too. A mate with an S2k said to maybe try that.

I did wonder if it was going to be a case of that :p

Well i will shoot him a pm then and hopefully he can supply me with the oil i need along with some crush washers for the plugs.

I did find this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2973

Which contains details from opie oils, and says that a good choice would be Motul Gear 300 75W-90. But i think you cant really get much better than Oe Nissan stuff for a standard car?