Where is the SRS Module ?? Airbag light is ON :)

simon da silva

Hey Guys.

I have some issues with my airbag system in my 03 US Importet LHD 350z.

My airbag light is ALWAYS on, not blinking, just on..

I think its on becaus of there is no connection to the srs module? any of you guys know where the SRS module is located? or should be located? the former owner hard broken the airbag connectors in the steering wheel airbag but replacing them diden't solve the problem.

and the OBDII scanner doesent give me any error codes what so ever???

Anybody know what to do?

its OEM steering wheel.. checked the seats.. they where connected..

I have tried the airbag reset procedure.. but my airbag light doesent flash.. like it does in the youtube movie.

I can hear the guy saying.. If the airbag light is flashing then there is an issue with the airbag system. If its ON then there is no connection to the computer / broken computer..

Thats why im asking for the SRS module.. since i can't find it :)

If the air bag light is on then this is because of either a loose connection or taking out the seats and putting them back in.

If the light is permanently on, then this says that either the control module has been removed, or one of the air bags have gone off (could be previously) and the control module was not replaced so the light will remain on until the control module is replaced.

From what I have heard it is located in the middle section behind the gear knob. I think there is a main control module and then separate modules controlling the air bags.

If the guy had broken the previous connection, do you know if he repaired it properly?

Modules are very very expensive from Nissan ( £500- £1000) so your best bet is to get one second hand. :thumbs:

hey Beau.

Thx alot man.. There are no major damages to the car, we checked it on a lift so i don't think the airbag has been set off, but i will locate the module start next week.

Maybe the former owner just disconnected the module to disable all the airbags.. he also had disabled the ABS and Tracking Control.

So im hoping this will fix the problem. Appreciate it alot.

hey Beau.

Thx alot man.. There are no major damages to the car, we checked it on a lift so i don't think the airbag has been set off, but i will locate the module start next week.

Maybe the former owner just disconnected the module to disable all the airbags.. he also had disabled the ABS and Tracking Control.

So im hoping this will fix the problem. Appreciate it alot.

Yeh, those are properly the reasons why it is on then....

there is a few posts on here regarding resetting it mate, i have it often when i move the drivers seat, what you have to do is put the key in and switch on then when the light starts to flash for the airbag switch off straight away, wait for five seconds and switch on again and repeat three times and that should reset it, if it doesnt do the same again. also check under the drivers seat and make sure the yellow plug is in tight. good lluck Dave :thumbs:

Could also be a damaged spiral reel section in the steering wheel - quite common as the cars age, had to replace the one in my car. We keep them in stock if needed, as I recall they are around $200 or so + shipping

The spiral cable (also known as a clock spring) is not a cable, It is just an electric curcuit board with a sensor. These dont break, once you dont mess about with the steering wheel or steering rack. If your horn works then your spiral cable is fine.

However, if the airbag has been deployed then the spiral cable sensor would be broken, even though I cant see how it would break, its just a circuit board. Or if you turn the steering wheel more than it should if the steering rack is out. I have been there. I bought a used one from a breaker for £20 and it worked. Once the airbag has not been deployed or any damage to steering components that would affect the steering wheel moving more than it should, it wil be fine.

Could also be a damaged spiral reel section in the steering wheel - quite common as the cars age, had to replace the one in my car. We keep them in stock if needed, as I recall they are around $200 or so + shipping

The spiral cable (also known as a clock spring) is not a cable, It is just an electric curcuit board with a sensor. These dont break, once you dont mess about with the steering wheel or steering rack. If your horn works then your spiral cable is fine.

However, if the airbag has been deployed then the spiral cable sensor would be broken, even though I cant see how it would break, its just a circuit board. Or if you turn the steering wheel more than it should if the steering rack is out. I have been there. I bought a used one from a breaker for £20 and it worked. Once the airbag has not been deployed or any damage to steering components that would affect the steering wheel moving more than it should, it wil be fine.

My horn worked just fine....and the airbag light would intermittently go on, would be able to reset, and then eventually came on more frequently, and ultimately all the time. My car has no side airbags at all ruling that out, and it's never been so much as tapped in a parking lot, let alone hit, so I knew that wasn't an issue. Multimeter revealed a short in the clockspring, replaced it, problem was solved instantly

Tracking control and ABS is working again.. i replaced the fuse in the engine bay..

The SRS module is connected so i have to find the issue somewhere else.

As mentioned it might be the Clock spring in the steering wheel that is the issue.. the old owner had broken the connectors in the steering wheel airbag, so i had to replace them by soldering new connectors to the clock spring wires. Blaah.

Im not 100% sure the UK Clock spring will fit my 350z?

mine looks like this

http://www.slidegood.com/media/catalog/ ... _15102.jpg

I'd be willing to chance it. I like the facts that i have an airbag if i have an accident..

Tracking control and ABS is working again.. i replaced the fuse in the engine bay..

The SRS module is connected so i have to find the issue somewhere else.

As mentioned it might be the Clock spring in the steering wheel that is the issue.. the old owner had broken the connectors in the steering wheel airbag, so i had to replace them by soldering new connectors to the clock spring wires. Blaah.

Im not 100% sure the UK Clock spring will fit my 350z?

mine looks like this

http://www.slidegood.com/media/catalog/ ... _15102.jpg

I'd be willing to chance it. I like the facts that i have an airbag if i have an accident..

I would think that the UK models would be exactly the same, all 350z world wide would have the same clock spring. There is no variation... I think. There are similar clock springs used on other Nissans as well. Also it is just that middle bit that spins you need to replace, not the whole complete thing. I think Lee was selling them for about £90.... Not sure.