Best driver training days?

waltzinblack

Can anyone recommend any particular ones?

After many hours at the Zedshed the car is finally ready to be put through it's paces properly, but I wouldn't feel comfortable just taking it on a track day and risk accidentally trashing someone's Porsche GT3 or whatever. Would feel a lot more comfortable taking some lessons first. I've heard of some days that (although expensive) you are pretty much the only person there, which would be good for me as there's no one to hit and no one to laugh at you! haha.

I'm based in North London, but of course it's the kind of thing I would set aside a day for and be willing to travel. Also, I have some nearly new tyres and the whole brake system (discs/pads/lines/fluid) has all been upgraded for this, I assume that one driver training day isn't going to wear anything out a massive amount. I doubt I'll be too full on, and maybe if I enjoy it then I will invest in some extra rims and tyres specifically for track work.

Any suggestions of good tracks/places/instructors would be ace! :D

Go see Walshy at Carlimits.com, he's a terrific bloke despite being Welsh ( ;) ) and will teach you loads from the very basics to the very advanced. I really need to do my third day there soon...

Ahh.. at North Weald? Pretty near me (nearly bought my new house there strangely enough), and had seen it before and was the one I was thinking of. But I thought would be good to ask for recommendations first. And hey.. what's wrong with the Welsh!? :rant: haha

He's based at North Weald but does the odd day further north and further south on occasion, stick with the original though :thumbs:

Aside from that a track day with someone like Bookatrack or Javelin with an instructor in the morning would be a good shout too, they're tightly run so have no time for idiots which makes them very safe.

He's based at North Weald but does the odd day further north and further south on occasion, stick with the original though :thumbs:

Aside from that a track day with someone like Bookatrack or Javelin with an instructor in the morning would be a good shout too, they're tightly run so have no time for idiots which makes them very safe.

Well thanks for the quick reply and recommendation, and coming from a member such as yourself who has given me and so many people so much track (and tyre!) advice, means that your recommendation alone carries a lot of weight!

The North Weald one was the top result on my original search and I have to say it did look pretty good, but always worth making sure, you know?

Funny thing was after all those threads about 'best performance mods' I still looked at the price of the day and thought 'oh that seems expensive'... forgetting I'd spent thousands already on brake system, new tyres and Uprev and stuff which I don't even get the most out of! :lol:

Thanks Lexx... will look into that one too, they seem to have a lot of different tailored things on offer. Plus I'm assuming they use a proper track rather than an airfield?

And a set of RE050As won't lose any dramatic amount of life out of them being thrashed about for one day, will they? After all I won't be going racing driver hard on them as I'll be learning!