Aftermarket Back box Rattle - Fixed

sam uk

Since having an after market back box fitted I've had loud vibration noise from the rear of the car. I could only really hear it low revs or from cold starts so I thought I'd have a look around to see if I could find anything rubbing.

Under the rear drivers side there is a metal cover/shield which was just about touching one of the back box hangers on the rear drivers side. I can only think the hangers on he after market box are slightly longer than the factory box.

6368960395_1aef15f183.jpg

First thing I did was remove the shield from the car, which came off quite easily with just a few nuts without jacking up the car. I'm not sure if the shield is really needed on the car as is doesn't seem to cover a great deal. That said I still still didn't want to loose the shield completely.

6368960163_e578a96020.jpg

You can see three lines marked on the cover. The centre mark is where the hanger had been rubbing on the shield. The top and bottom marks are where I cut out the section of the shield to stop the rubbing. I used an angle grinder to make light work of it.

After putting it all back together and quick test and problem solved! :thumbs:

I hope this comes in handy for others who may have the same annoying rattle.

The shield is there to shield the diff from speed bumps and the like.

Many aftermarket exhaust require it to be removed.

Thats not the diff shield though :p

Look same as what I removed from mine which was the diff shield.

Although it was 3 years ago so memory could be a little hazy!