S type Jag's any advice what to look for ???

lomoto

Check everything. Twice. Then go back again, and check it again. Another two or three times.

A mate has one, full service history etc etc. And everything costs and absolute fortune to get fixed or get a part. Even non Jaguar parts. I was shocked........ Beware!

Check everything. Twice. Then go back again, and check it again. Another two or three times.

A mate has one, full service history etc etc. And everything costs and absolute fortune to get fixed or get a part. Even non Jaguar parts. I was shocked........ Beware!

:teeth: I have had Jags in the past so I know what you mean about checking everything twice , I just wondered if anything specific to the S class was a problem area :)

:teeth: I have had Jags in the past so I know what you mean about checking everything twice , I just wondered if anything specific to the S class was a problem area :)

Nothing a major headache as far as I know. He does a lot of miles, mainly motorway and the main thing is brakes, both disks and pads. Always seem to need doing together and at one hell of a cost. :)

Nothing a major headache as far as I know. He does a lot of miles, mainly motorway and the main thing is brakes, both disks and pads. Always seem to need doing together and at one hell of a cost. :)

will give them a coat of looking at then cheers :thumbs:

Just been offered a cheapish looking S type 3.0 litre Jag..anyone had any experience with these on what to look for when buying used?? :)

Cheap or not, why would you want it? :scare:

you obviously aren't employed in the retail sector, there is nothing undesirable if the price is right ;)

Just been offered a cheapish looking S type 3.0 litre Jag..anyone had any experience with these on what to look for when buying used?? :)

you obviously aren't employed in the retail sector, there is nothing undesirable if the price is right ;)

A Jag is pretty undesirable even if its free B)

you'll learn :surrender:

Can't make much comment on the S type but my old man had an XJ8, he kept it for 5 years as he couldn't bear to part with it. It was brilliant and never cost too much in bits and bobs - I don't think...

It was lovely. :thumbs:

Learn what? :wacko:

Learn what? :wacko:

never look a gift horse in the mouth B)

if someone gave you £1000 in scruffy five pound notes, you wouldnt say I dont want them their dirty..or would you :wacko:

Knowing you you probably would :p

Hi Tim, can you get me the reg of the car please and ideally the chassis number? I have a mate that now works at Land Rover having just switched across from Jag - he was there for about 8 yrs and worked on the X Type from when it was a drawing but also spent a lot of time on the S Type.

He'll be able to put it into their system to check it out for you if you like, he'll also be able to tell you what to look out for.

Hi Tim, can you get me the reg of the car please and ideally the chassis number? I have a mate that now works at Land Rover having just switched across from Jag - he was there for about 8 yrs and worked on the X Type from when it was a drawing but also spent a lot of time on the S Type.

He'll be able to put it into their system to check it out for you if you like, he'll also be able to tell you what to look out for.

Thanks Andy , I know reg but no chasis no. yet.. will PM you with it if you dont mind :thumbs:

Check if the previous owner removed his from the car so you can put yours.

What am I talking about?

this ofcourse:

sherlock-pipe.jpg

and

B)250px-Slippers.jpg

Check if the previous owner removed his from the car so you can put yours.

What am I talking about?

this ofcourse:

sherlock-pipe.jpg

and

B)250px-Slippers.jpg

Ho Ho laugh I nearly started :yawn:

styper08.jpg

How old? What engine?

I had an XK8 before the Zed and it cost me a bleedin fortune in repairs.

The cam chain tensioners in all the V engines were a bit of a problem and could fail - taking out the chain and often the valves and pistons. (I was lucky it happened to me on start up and only cost my £850 :scare: 9 days after I bought the car with FULL SERVICE HISTORY!!)

Off the road six weeks and then 9 days after I gto it back the auto box played up. Ho Hum another £400. :rant:

Body work on the XK was also not up to Japanse standard and there were several patches of rust appearing on a 1998 car. There was a patch underneath that only just passed the MOT and would have needed a fair bit of welding before the next one. this would have necessitated the inside of the car coming out!! :scare:

All of the above considered it was a VERY nice drive and for the right price I would still have another Jag as they are a lot of car for your money. Get a good one and you wont regret it!

Hope this helps

Ming the concerned

Yep I know you had a traumatic time with the XK8 Ming, the Stype I am looking at has the V6 3.0 engine.. but still want approaching with caution I think.. had several Jags in the past and they all broke my heart and wallet..But when you get one running Ok there is no better riding car :)