Garage roof

srobrien

Hi all, I have just ordered a new steel box profile roof to replace my leaky old corrugated concrete one. (BTW I am aware of the asbestos issue).

I am concerned about condensation on the inside so have thought about laying OSB sheeting with felt on top under the sheets but I am not sure what would be the best sort of felt to use?

Has anyone any experience of this?

Cheers

R

Condensation will occur only if inside temp is significantly higher than outside temp ... so my question is, is the garage heated ?

You are correct in sense but when outside temps drop below freezing you will almost always get condensation no matter as the inside air moisture content will condense on the cold surface regardless of whether it is heated or not. As soon as the outdoor ambient temps drop the inside air will most likely reach it's dew point and form condensation.

I have this problem in my garage. Insulate the steel and make sure you have sufficient ventilation gaps.

Condensation will occur only if inside temp is significantly higher than outside temp ... so my question is, is the garage heated ?

You are correct in sense but when outside temps drop below freezing you will almost always get condensation no matter as the inside air moisture content will condense on the cold surface regardless of whether it is heated or not. As soon as the outdoor ambient temps drop the inside air will most likely reach it's dew point and form condensation.

I have this problem in my garage. Insulate the steel and make sure you have sufficient ventilation gaps.

As stated by Neil, good ventilation is the key :thumbs:

As above, excellent advice, but if you are starting from scratch it might be worth considering a breathable underlay onto roof joists, then battens and then fix your sheets to the battens. Any condensation forming on the underside of your sheets will be prevented from entering the garage by the beathable membrane.

Again only a thought ( based on nearly thirty years in the construction industry )

As above, excellent advice, but if you are starting from scratch it might be worth considering a breathable underlay onto roof joists, then battens and then fix your sheets to the battens. Any condensation forming on the underside of your sheets will be prevented from entering the garage by the beathable membrane.

Again only a thought ( based on nearly thirty years in the construction industry )

Come to Aberdeen and there are 3 roofs for you to do :lol::thumbs:

When I did my dads garage roof thats how we did it, still water tight now and no condensation

Thanks leon, would i just attach the membrane straight to the top of the purlins?

R

"Purlins" are the big joists that support smaller roof spars or joists.

So felt first then spacer battens on top of felt and spars then your metal roof cladding. 50mm tanalised battens should be enough.

Just google " breathable roof membrane "

If you want i can pm you my mobile and I'll talk you through it.

"Purlins" are the big joists that support smaller roof spars or joists.

So felt first then spacer battens on top of felt and spars then your metal roof cladding. 50mm tanalised battens should be enough.

Just google " breathable roof membrane "

If you want i can pm you my mobile and I'll talk you through it.

Hi sorry forgot to mention it is a flat roof with a pitch from front to back so only has purlins...ala this:

ABOVE2.jpg

INSIDE.jpg

R

Thought as much, various ways of doing it. Will PM you my mobile, just give me a ring and I'll advise. All F.O.C to club members.

If it's medical advice or kitchen fitting DoogyRev is your man. :p

Thanks very much, got your PM. Will give you a call when I get stuck haha.

R