Tapping noise from engine on cold start_THE END.

Craigb

Since it's been getting a little cooler when I start my car first thing I get a loud tapping noise on startup, which disappears after 5/10 mins of running.

I have searched on the threads on here, I recorded a new fuel damper to try which I fit last night,

Started up this morning and still the same noise, it seems like its comming from the plenum chamber area. I have no loss of power, lumpy running etc, I am trying to get to the bottom of it as it was only recently had a p1 service and Nissan a month ago with nothing found.

Now I dnt know if it's the norm for these engines when it's cooler,

Any ideas?

It's fine sort of 5 mins after starting when the temp needle is only starting to move, with the air temp being cooler, I mean all the noise seems to be comming from the rear of the engine but like I say beneath the plenum chamber.

Thats where the fuel rail is.... Are you sure the part you ordered was new or working correctly itself. Possible that the damper you bought had already had the issue?

Just been down to get some petrol now, and when i parked the zed back up on the drive the noise was occurring just as it was when the engine was cold, So it is now doing it when the car is up to temperature.

The noise is defiantly louder towards the rear of the engine near the plenum chamber.

Im not too confident on the Nissan garage that carried out the P1 service, I'm thinking they could of possibly used the incorrect oil, as its very very rare they have a 350z/370z in to work with in the town i live in.

So my next action plan is just to drop in there after work and just ask them why my car as gained a tapping noise which seems to be getting worse and worse since they have serviced it.

As i know for definite the noise wasn't there before the service.

I will update on how it goes tomorrow, but I'm contemplating jumping on the train tomorrow to work and leaving the zed on the drive than doing a 10 mile journey to work tomorrow. :surrender:

Just been down to get some petrol now, and when i parked the zed back up on the drive the noise was occurring just as it was when the engine was cold, So it is now doing it when the car is up to temperature.

The noise is defiantly louder towards the rear of the engine near the plenum chamber.

Im not too confident on the Nissan garage that carried out the P1 service, I'm thinking they could of possibly used the incorrect oil, as its very very rare they have a 350z/370z in to work with in the town i live in.

So my next action plan is just to drop in there after work and just ask them why my car as gained a tapping noise which seems to be getting worse and worse since they have serviced it.

As i know for definite the noise wasn't there before the service.

I will update on how it goes tomorrow, but I'm contemplating jumping on the train tomorrow to work and leaving the zed on the drive than doing a 10 mile journey to work tomorrow. :surrender:

Nissan are prats. When I gave my car to them for a service they used 10-40. I got them to change it but Ive heard they do this alot. Saves them alot of money.

Nissan are prats. When I gave my car to them for a service they used 10-40. I got them to change it but Ive heard they do this alot. Saves them alot of money.

Nothing wrong with 10w40 oil all be it Fully Synthetic. Abbey use it and preferred over 5w

If it's a good quality 10-40 and it's fully synth fine but I'm sure thus was standard stuff semi synth.

Nothing wrong with 10w40 oil all be it Fully Synthetic. Abbey use it and preferred over 5w

If it was doing it whilst you were parked up standing next to it, could you open the bonnet and try and pin point where its coming from - i use the old screw driver on ear trick.

Good luck with the garage, i woudnt expect them to admit to them doing anything wrong tho, but maybe they can help narrow the problem down.

Well i dropped the car off thursday night and nissan had a courtesy car ready for me, i explained to them i knew the car was fine up till the service, i said the only things that have changed is the oil and oil filter.

They assured me they hadn't used the incorrect oil.

So i get a phone call the next morning at 9, they said the technician had started up and there was no noise what so ever, i told them it could be due to the milder temperature we were having. I said i don't wanna be boy calling wolf and 2 weeks down the line when its colder and bringing it back.

He then said that he would ask the technician to take it for a drive getting it up to temp and see if he could see anything and he would give me a call back.

I expected them to call back an hour later, expecting they would have found nothing.

Instead i get a phone call at 3.15 in the afternoon, basically saying all the technician could find was noisy injectors on start up and it was in the characteristics on the engine in colder temperatures.

To cut a long story short i collected the car drove home and guess what, spanking fresh new oil haha (obviously they weren't going to admit it)

We had a cold night here last night got down to 3 degrees, started it up not a ticking noise at all to be found.

So i am on the hunt for a different garage to use in the future :wacko: