Snetterton

sinbad

Snetterton write up.

Snetterton was the wartime base of the 96th US Air Force Bomber Group. The first race meeting here was held in 1951, arranged by the Aston Martin Owner's Club. The layout has changed a few times since then, the current circuit being just under 2 miles long. The Lotus F1 team used Snetterton as its local test track. The circuit has two of the longest straights in the UK and is therefore one of the fastest. Highlights of the racing calendar at Snetterton include visits from the British Touring Car Championship and British Superbikes.

Snetterton is clearly signposted off the A11 between Thetford & Norwich.

Russell and Sear corners both lead onto long straights and therefore have a significant effect on lap times. However Riches, Coram and the Esses are all quick, interesting bends. Being an airfield circuit there's no gradient at Snetterton, although the Bomb Hole has some camber than can catch out the unwary.

Top tip: take a book for the straights, keep it tidy through Bomb Hole and build your speed up through Coram during the day (but don't outbreak yourself into Russell!).

vid:Not of me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swrseT6rBzY

and when it goes wrong

Snetterton is a nice track with lots of straights etc. It really only has one tight bend.

All race tracks can get a bit crowded, but just take you time, build your speed up gradually and you'll be fine.

If you are concerned, try an airfield day. These have plenty of run off, although they can be a bit hard on tyres, due to the hard surface.

For the first day on track I would recommend an airfield.

Simply to get used to the different speed of everyone, you will be much quicker than some and other much quicker than you. It is quite frightening the first time someone comes wizzing past you. It is nothing like road driving where people will stick to white lines. Every car handles different therefore they all have a different racing line.

Just try it once, typically £100 and you will be much safer the first time you are on track.

If you have a look at the second link I posted, arnco hurts badly and there does not tend to be any on airfields, so make mistakes they you can get out of it easily.

thanks for you replies. Im still Baffled by what to do?

i'd prefer to stick to a uk track and not airfields as i would rather experience the bumps and cambers etc..

I may do an open pitlane at donnington or something.

Donnington is my local track, so had plenty of track time there. They have 3 sessions so you could go in the novice. Go for one at the moment and they will be a bit quiet.

See here http://www.donington-park.co.uk/trakzone/

Hi all,

Ive been looking at doing a trackday but as im a complete novice i liked the look of this which i found from an old thread of Mike's :thumbs:

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/snett ... uctID=2840

What do you guys think of the overall package?

Is Snetterton a good track to start with the Z?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks Chris :wacko:

Have you seen this Chris

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5124

Kev, Steve, Mike - Thanks for all your advice.

I have taken all your points on board but i'm still wanting to do a uk track i am familiar with, so i'm swaying towards the novice day at donington. I've done plenty of reading and know to build my speed progressivly, be aware of other vehicles, pre-vehicle checks and to warm up/warm down etc.. but I will be getting an instructor to assist me with the first few sessions for sure and i'm just going to build from there.

I'm not planning on pushing my car so much as to go near any armco's so hopefully i wont be finding out how much they hurt. I'm really looking to learn how to be smoother, realise the potential of a RWD car as this is my first and, to get a taste for trackdays.

You'll have a blast mate! Tbh you're better off not doing a full day if you're planning on using the Z anyway - imo it won't be in a fit state to drive home afterwards.

Generally people on tracks are a bit better behaved than on the roads and you don't tend to get idiots - that said there are always a few. You only really get overtaking on straights and generally you do it on 1 side and only after the other person has signalled to say they've seen you - you'll be fine :thumbs: