BC Racing Coilovers Question

chippychip123

Right I have had my BC Racing coilovers fitted now for probably about a year, they have always ridden really well but there has always been a slight metallic knocking coming from the rear end, I've been trying to chase this for a while now with it recently getting louder :thumbdown: , and finally decided to swap the rear shocks back over to the OEM ones leaving all the adjustable springs in place and remaining at the same ride height. And hey presto all the knocking has vanished :yahoo: but the back end now is very jumpy :surrender: . I was just wondering if this is a common issue with these coilovers or am I a one off? As they have done this virtually from new. Any help as always is much appreciated

Cheers Tom :thumbs:

They shouldn't make the noise.

If they're still under warrenty I'd get them replaced. If they're not under warranty then you'd need to find what casuing the noise (it can be the top mount) and then get that part replaced. We can get hold of all BC Racing parts :)

I'd recommend getting the dampers sorted asap as the BC Racing springs wil overwhelm the standard shocks, which is why the car feel bouncy. It'll be very underdamped and will probably be lacking in rear grip.

Thanks for the replys guys, Ruddles mine knock over every little bump and hole etc, but the noise does seem to be louder when the car is cold and when on a longer runs it almost goes away :shrug: and Jez I think they are out of there warranty period and the top mounts don't look too bad. Is it possible for the actual dampers them selves to be knocking?

Cheers Tom :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

Had an Identical problem with the rear BC coilovers on my s2000, they would knock when they were cold (worse in the winter, silent in the summer) and get better as they warmed up. I contacted BC and they were excellent, they sent me replacements and the noise vanished. Give BC Racing a call, they are very helpfull.

Had an Identical problem with the rear BC coilovers on my s2000, they would knock when they were cold (worse in the winter, silent in the summer) and get better as they warmed up. I contacted BC and they were excellent, they sent me replacements and the noise vanished. Give BC Racing a call, they are very helpfull.

Was it anything to worry about? I.e. Failing struts,etc? Or just soley noise? Did they point out?

Cheers mate I'll give them a call. Were yours still in warrenty? As I think mine are out now. But it has happened from day one :thumbdown:

Mine were still under warranty. It's hard to say if they always made the noise as I fitted them in the summer and the noise would only arise during the colder months then go again when it warmed up. I sent BC the rears back for them to inspect and bought another set of bare shocks (no adjusters,springs etc) from them under the proviso that if they found a fault with my originals they'd refund me (I think they were only about £70 each). In the end they could not find a fault with them but they gave me a refund anyway due to the fact that the noise totally went away after fitting the new ones which kinda proved there was a problem.

BC will ask you to do a few checks 1st, something like check top mount nut is tight,ARB links are ok (I disconnected mine to rule them out) Pre load is set correctly, Locking and adjusting collars are tight. I also tried them at different height and shock stiffness setting, the stiffness made a little difference I.E the softer the setting the less knocking they made but I found setting them below 10 clicks meant they were to weak to control the springs and lead to seriously dodgy handling. I did find that raising the car significantly reduced the noise but that kind of defeats the whole point of coilovers.

I seem to remember that I did a quick Google search on BC racing shocks being noisy and found alot of post on the subject from alot of different car forums.

My own opinion is that BC Racing coilovers are very good value for money and have an excellent back up service but when I next buy a set of coilovers I'll probably go for a top end of the market set.

• 2 weeks later...