Golf 4 motion vs 350Z...

Kennydies

Admitedly we were drunk when having this conversation but...

Was at a house party over xmas and was talking cars. My friend has a golf 4 motion and we were talking about going on a track one weekend and thrashing them for a bit.

Someone else pitched in and said the Golf would thrash us on the corners because of the 4 wheels drive even though the z has better handling and power...

Discuss.....

:)

Don't have it with me at work but in the back of EVO mag there are lap times for a whole load of cars - I know the Zed is in there for sure and I think the R32 is - anyone got access to one ? If not I will check when I get home tonight.

Diesel winning may be down to good driver vs crap driver and/or the characteristics of the particular track but does make you think.....

I have also stuffed an old 2.8 4-motion and an old R32. Not even close. And the 4-motion was in the wet.

Came across a new R32 the other week and gave in to temptation. As did he. Was close up to 60 but then my baby just kept pulling away (admittedly slowly pulling away ;) ) due to the extra torque.

Do like the R32 though - would consider it as my next 'practical' car.

Don't have it with me at work but in the back of EVO mag there are lap times for a whole load of cars - I know the Zed is in there for sure and I think the R32 is - anyone got access to one ? If not I will check when I get home tonight.

Diesel winning may be down to good driver vs crap driver and/or the characteristics of the particular track but does make you think.....

Yeah, I've got that EVO. Issue 097. The Zed was half a second quicker than the R32 round the lap.

R32 is virtually identical to the A3 3.2 (my mate has one) in the wet theres no chance for the Z as the Golf would have much better traction, I'm talking standing starts here once its moving its a different story. On the track the Golf wouldn't beat the Z, just like the A3 didn't.

The Z accelerates better & quicker no question.

The traction issue from standing is fair but otherwise the rest is piffle

The R32 has all its weight in the nose and is rubbish at the track. THe 350z is track focussed and allows you to shift the weight around perfectly for excellent exit speed. It really will **** on any golf if driven correctly.

I really like my zed as a daily drive, but honestly and I know many may not like it, the Zed is a pants track car. If long straights, then yes it will be okay, but I find straight very boring doing straights.

It is majorly heavy on brakes and therefore you cannot carry speed into the corners

I guarantee if anyone comes out of my Caterham and say, "hell that was boring" then I will eat my words.

I was totally blown away by a M3 CSL and a Cayman S. Also any Elise with 160 BHP will give you a hard time, more and they will likely just leave you.

I am far from a quick driver, but if someone want to go on a track day during spring/summer then let me know.

I really like my zed as a daily drive, but honestly and I know many may not like it, the Zed is a pants track car. If long straights, then yes it will be okay, but I find straight very boring doing straights.

It is majorly heavy on brakes and therefore you cannot carry speed into the corners

I guarantee if anyone comes out of my Caterham and say, "hell that was boring" then I will eat my words.

I was totally blown away by a M3 CSL and a Cayman S. Also any Elise with 160 BHP will give you a hard time, more and they will likely just leave you.

I am far from a quick driver, but if someone want to go on a track day during spring/summer then let me know.

The Stig's times in the M3 were the same as the Zed, and the Zed was faster than the Elise. With the power figure of the M3 being that bit greater than the Zed that would indicate the Zed has the ability to carry speed through the corners pretty well.

The CSL was a bit quicker, but it doesn't weigh much so most of that is probably down to braking advantage. Reckon the Zed would be a lot of fun. Elise probably best! :)

Not sure exactly. It's like Porsches RS. It's lightweight has a carbon roof, boot and maybe other bits.

Doesn't have a radio though! It's got more BHP too. They only came in grey and are pretty damn rapid.

The R32 has all its weight in the nose and is rubbish at the track. THe 350z is track focussed and allows you to shift the weight around perfectly for excellent exit speed. It really will **** on any golf if driven correctly.

Agreed, as I said the Z beat the A3 on the track and would also beat the R32

True but its not the same thing. A Caterham is a very different beast and a total track car, whereas the Z can realistically be used every day as well as being decent enough for a laugh on a track for a half dozen laps.

My point is not that the zed is a bad car, its just not track focused. Would love a radical, but next track car is likely to be a Honda supercharged or Audi conversion on the Elise. I love the zed, just want to put it straight that if people are looking for a "track" car try other things as a zed may disappoint.

On the TG track Caterham would not leave a Zed as it seems to have very changes in direction, longer corners and seems a few straights. The hybusa Westfield that was against Sarnie was not stunningly quicker.

Andy, do you go to tracks in the south as would like to see another zed go round.

Was great Abingdon when there was 5-6 of them.

This is what I really want........

My point is not that the zed is a bad car, its just not track focused.

Then why have the 53/47 weight balance? Why do Palmersport use them for track days?

I disagree, and having had the dynamics of the car explained to me, it's a revalation. Do the TG track in the zed and learn stuff about the car that will really change your opinion!

It's not * a track car * but there's definitely a track focus to it and it's the reason why it matches track times of both more powerful and lighter cars.

Then why have the 53/47 weight balance? Why do Palmersport use them for track days?

I disagree, and having had the dynamics of the car explained to me, it's a revalation. Do the TG track in the zed and learn stuff about the car that will really change your opinion!

It's not * a track car * but there's definitely a track focus to it and it's the reason why it matches track times of both more powerful and lighter cars.

not being funny but steve_b has quite a lot of experience of trackdays, he's not gonna need to go on the TG track to learn about the Z mate ;) I'm sure all he means is that compared to a properly specific trackday car (elise, exige, caterham, open top kit cars like fisher fury, ultima etc) the Z is just a capable allrounder.

Plus who in their right mind would buy a 350Z exclusively for track days? (as it is). Of course if you start stripping it, modifying it etc then almost any car can be made more focused for track days. But then as steve_b says, you might as well just buy one of the cars I listed above in the first place.

Guest prescience

not being funny but steve_b has quite a lot of experience of trackdays, he's not gonna need to go on the TG track to learn about the Z mate ;) I'm sure all he means is that compared to properly specific trackday car (elises, exiges, caterham, open top kit cars like fisher fury, ultimas etc) the Z is just a capable allrounder.

Do you think Stephen has a case of the 'Reformed Smokers' ;):lol: