Pricate car park full of untaxed cars!!

Rubber

I live in a pupose built block of flats of which there are about 50 - 60. We have about 40 car parking spaces which are not allocated to the flats. There seems to be an influx of cars at the moment and it is really difficult to get parking which means I have to leave the car on the road somtimes which I don't like.

I suspect there are a number of owners who do not live in the flats but are just using the car park. (The gate is broken at the moment but that's another story!!!) Some of the cars have been "resting" for some time. A quick inspection relveals that a few of them don't have any tax. Are you allowed to keep cars without tax in a private car park or do they need a SORN thingy? One of the cars appears to be mobile even though it has no tax...

I think the Site Administrator (factor person or whatever you call them!) has brought the cops in before to check if the cars are registered to our the address. Just wondering if there is anything else that can be done....

Cheers,

Chris

It's worth calling Queen Street and asking to talk to someone. They will tell you if it's ok or not.

When I was (falsely) charged with a defect on my car it was up my private drive and I was told it didn't matter as there was 'intent' to use it????

You can use this https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e1s2 to check the tax status of a vehicle. If the car isnt taxed then it should be declared SORN.

As Stew says give Queens St a call, although unless they are looking for funds for the Christmas ball dont expect a rapid response :lol:

You can also report it online http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022073 if you would rather do it "discretely" to prevent reprisals :thumbs:

just checked my beetle on that site which is SORN'd and it shows as "SORN Not Due" so thats what you are looking for. My Z which is taxed shows "Licence Not Due". Even if the car is TAX'd but not showing the new disc it is still an offence.

This being a private car park best thing to do is to get the person that owns it to do something about it.

Typically with flats there is a management company that has to act (I suspect your site administrator works for them). Some of these companies are more clued up than others. They should have all the legal rights to put parking enforcement notices and can contract specialized companies to remove any vehicles that do not have a right to be parked on their land and charge the car owners fees, etc.

Do you rent or own the flat? If you own the (long term lease?) flat then you have the right to demand the management co. to do something. Writing letters and going the legal route usually gets the balls rolling. If you short-term rent you have to go through your landlord which could be slower, but can be effective nevertheless. The more people from the flats complain the better too.

They should have all the legal rights to put parking enforcement notices and can contract specialized companies to remove any vehicles that do not have a right to be parked on their land and charge the car owners fees, etc.

In Scotland? The Scottish laws on this kind of thing is different to England.

If the car has no tax then it needs to be SORN`d every year.

If its a private car park, then as long as the owner is happy then you can keep un-taxed cars in there. So, I the police wont be able to do much unless the owner of the carpark is not happy with having un-taxed cars in it.

The brick is an interesting idea!

No seriously, thanks for the advice. Couple of good links there Grant - I'll do some detective work on the cars around the car park.

As Stew said, I think the laws are slightly different in Scotland. I did phone the agent who looks after the property and he said it is not straight forward :dry: . He needs to go through the DVLA (although I could do this myself with the links above) and then he needs to talk to the owener of the car. If the owner does not claim the car then he can have it removed and get the scrap metal value which he said goes back into the residents fund ;) (I don't mind if he keeps a few quid as long as it's sorted out)

I don't want to be unreasonable either. If someone wants to keep a SORN'd car in THEIR car park that's fine by me. I just don't want people who don't live here dumping their cars here or not following the rules of SORN. Plus if I get caught reporting people the Zed would make an easy target for a nail down the side. (I already shelled out ~£600 when some arse scraped my car in the car park.)

I'll see what the agent does first but I may resort to reporting if nothing happens....

Cheers,

Chris