Lumpy acceleration when cold

MattMe

Hey guys.

I've noticed recently when my car's cold in the morning under anything more than slight acceleration I sometimes get a slighty lumpy, almost mis-fire kind of feeling that's also noticable on the lift-off when coming to a corner/roundabout/whatever, the car is less smooth than it should be.

It's my 2nd Zed and I've never noticed it on my other one, or even this one until recently, so I'm pretty sure it's not normal, but wondered if anyone ahd some advice on what might be the issue or any tests I could do myself to try and diagnose what it is.

I know it's had spark plugs fairly recently, oil is clean and at a good level, airbox is clean, no warning lights. I'm at a bit of a loss where to start, to be honest.

Had a quick search of the forum but not really found anything similar yet.

:shrug:

Cheers!

I forgot to mention before, it only seems noticable at low revs, like up to 2,500rpm-ish before it smoothes out. Also, it has a single mass flywheel, but I don't think that's what's causing the issue as previously the car seemed fine.

Hope somebody somewhere has some idea!

Cheers...

If it only happens at cold, possible intermittent spark plug fault/failure when cold? :shrug: Happened to me once years ago (not a Zed), turned out to be a faulty brand new spark plug. :wacko:

Hey guys.

I've noticed recently when my car's cold in the morning under anything more than slight acceleration I sometimes get a slighty lumpy, almost mis-fire kind of feeling that's also noticable on the lift-off when coming to a corner/roundabout/whatever, the car is less smooth than it should be.

It's my 2nd Zed and I've never noticed it on my other one, or even this one until recently, so I'm pretty sure it's not normal, but wondered if anyone ahd some advice on what might be the issue or any tests I could do myself to try and diagnose what it is.

I know it's had spark plugs fairly recently, oil is clean and at a good level, airbox is clean, no warning lights. I'm at a bit of a loss where to start, to be honest.

Had a quick search of the forum but not really found anything similar yet.

:shrug:

Cheers!

Not sure about the OP. I'm using tesco 99. My car isn't bad at roundabouts just idle.

aircon on or off

Air con off. It's like every 5 or so seconds it's missfiring or about to stall and it goes down then up.

certainty not normal. See if it helps with the aircon on. You may have a earthing issue or air filter is clogged up or MAF sensor

Not sure about the OP. I'm using tesco 99. My car isn't bad at roundabouts just idle.

aircon on or off

Air con off. It's like every 5 or so seconds it's missfiring or about to stall and it goes down then up.

Mine was like that

Was fined after I cleaned my MAF out.

Good call on the MAF sensor - don't know why I haven't tried that already. I know the filter's nearly new Pipercross effort so don't think it's that.

Mine's aircon off, will try with it on also.

It doesn't seem to bad at idle most of the time, to be honest. Sometimes drops a little bit but then so did my last Zed.

Hope it's not the spark plug thing. That'd be a bit of an arse to diagnose surely? How'd you know which one?

For the price of doing the job if you was to pay it would be cheaper just getting 6 new plugs IMO. I'm hoping to change mine tomorrow.

Good call on the MAF sensor - don't know why I haven't tried that already. I know the filter's nearly new Pipercross effort so don't think it's that.

Mine's aircon off, will try with it on also.

It doesn't seem to bad at idle most of the time, to be honest. Sometimes drops a little bit but then so did my last Zed.

Hope it's not the spark plug thing. That'd be a bit of an arse to diagnose surely? How'd you know which one?

Sorry to OP for hijacking :drunk:

I cleaned my filter, cleaned the maf, cleaned the throttle body and changed the spark plugs. Changing the spark plugs is a pain in the backside if you have worked on I4 cars before. Idle is now smooth and the car seems a little more responsive and keener, could be down to the ecu reset and idle control reset thing though. :thumbs: