Any former S2000 owners bought a 350Z? (test drive tips)

douglasr

I had to sell my S2000 last year for medical reasons and I've just had my license returned from the DVLA. I've pretty much decided the 350Z is for me. The problem is that they are hard to find in Scotland and I've never driven one. I've found one at a reasonable price (£22K for a 05 plate GT on standard alloys from a Nissan dealer) and I'm arranging a test drive tomorrow.

Any pointers from ex-S2000 owners, or any general test driving tips much appreciated.

if this is the same one selling in edinburgh it looks like a great deal - even considered selling mine to buy it !

i did consider the s2000 before the z as the missus really liked them and i found my last honda relly hard to beat on build quality, but as you say the z is quite rare on the roads up here.

good luck

Take a look in the warranty section (or do a search) and use that as a checklist for things to look out for. If any are present, I'd suggest that you get them to do the work before you collect it, otherwise the loss of the sound you will no doubt fall in love with will be upsetting!! :)

As for the drive, if you've had an S2000 then the rear drive will be nothing new, just expect a fair bit more grip (especially in the wet! ;) ) and of course 3 billion times more torque.

Other than the warranty points, there's nothing to really worry about, just enjoy it!

I used to own a S2000 before my first Zed. Loved the car when I first got it, but the handling used to scare me to death. Snappy chassis has been tamed with suspension revisions over the years, but its still a nasty handling car in my opinion.

Tiny cabin (how i ever fit in it, i dont know!) but marginally better build quality than the zed.

Totally different cars, I wouldnt buy another convertible, got sick of the torqueless engine, so the zed made perfect sense to me.

Still loved it as a car, but needed to move on. On balance the zed is a much better owning experience. ;)

I tested the S2000 but my bird thought it looked like an MX-5! Not a good start... I thought it was pretty good but didn't like the lack of torque in normal driving. I also didn't like the fact that the Vtec was so high up in the rev range that you had to ring it's neck to get perfrmance.

The 350Z is surprisingly easy to drive slowly and just sail on the wave of torque. It's also great when you floor it.

Decided to buy it.

First impression - its a heavy beast, but punches its weight beautifully.

It was pissing down on the drive, but the stability control kept it all in check nicely. Traction was pretty impressive, even on cold tyres. The brakes were as powerful as I expected.

The engine could have beena bit more vocal, but sailing along on a wave of torque was both fun and a lot more relaxing than the frenetic nature of my S2000. The gearchange was better than I expected, even when cold.

Doing the deal was pretty painless, They had just taken £1000 off last week and refused to budge on price (£21888 for a March '05 with 14200 miles, Gunmetal, door kick plates, parking sensors and 2 new rear tyres not Bridgestone though, a make I'm not familiar with but OK according to Nissan - I may change them). I managed to negotiate a service before delivery, a 2 year service plan and a tonneau cover. I think I did OK as a Glass's online valuation came in at £23500 retail.

I cant wait...

PS: the tips I found on here were very useful - no clicking drive shafts, skipping CD, squeaky seats, non dropping windows etc etc.

I had an S2000 3 cars prior to my Z, I have to say you made the right choice, in comparison the Z is very practical (yes I know!!), also as it has a much more progressive power band, its far less all or nothing that the S2000.

Good move chap

I had an S2000 3 cars prior to my Z, I have to say you made the right choice, in comparison the Z is very practical (yes I know!!), also as it has a much more progressive power band, its far less all or nothing that the S2000.

Good move chap

What did you have inbetween ?

The engine could have beena bit more vocal,

If you have some cash left in your account, get a Nismo exhaust catback system and that last "niggle" will be sorted :p

Sounds just right, not too loud, not louder than standard when cruising on the highway at <3000rpm in 6th, but when you floor it ..... oh baby B)

Decided to buy it.

First impression - its a heavy beast, but punches its weight beautifully.

It was pissing down on the drive, but the stability control kept it all in check nicely. Traction was pretty impressive, even on cold tyres. The brakes were as powerful as I expected.

The engine could have beena bit more vocal, but sailing along on a wave of torque was both fun and a lot more relaxing than the frenetic nature of my S2000. The gearchange was better than I expected, even when cold.

Doing the deal was pretty painless, They had just taken £1000 off last week and refused to budge on price (£21888 for a March '05 with 14200 miles, Gunmetal, door kick plates, parking sensors and 2 new rear tyres not Bridgestone though, a make I'm not familiar with but OK according to Nissan - I may change them). I managed to negotiate a service before delivery, a 2 year service plan and a tonneau cover. I think I did OK as a Glass's online valuation came in at £23500 retail.

I cant wait...

PS: the tips I found on here were very useful - no clicking drive shafts, skipping CD, squeaky seats, non dropping windows etc etc.

Well done, Douglas, and

:welcome:

There are quite a few of us Z owners now in Central Scotland. Chris (Funkystyling), Gus and I met up in Stirling last year. Maybe when the weather improves a bit we could organise another meet. :D