370Z Automatic

wesmin

Would like owners views on their 370 Auto as thinking of replacing my 350 manual with one,Whats the fuel comsumtion compared to a 370 manual and views on driving it compared to the manual version.

if you do a lot of stop / start town/city traffic - get an AT, if not, stay with a manual - clutch is fairly heavy (but I'm getting used to it

:blush:

I had a 370 auto for a few days whilst my manual 350 was in the garage for some work.

Initially I found it took quite a bit of getting used to. Having an auto in such a sports car for me seemed to really seem strange as I would more associate an auto with the sort of cruising luxury family car.

The auto box was the 7 speed paddle shift one. In fully auto I found it a bit clunky unless you were driving slowly - for example around town etc.. I found myself just poodling about hardly touching the throttle. The kickdown in auto was anoying. For example, if you were doing 50mph in 7th and floored it, the gearbox would drop down 5 gears to 2nd because (if i remember rightly) flat out in 2nd was 60. So you`d be now be in 2nd for 50->60, then it would change up to 3rd.

Where the car did come into its own was when you found a nice bit of quiet bendy backroad and switched to semi auto and used the paddle shift. It really seemed to change the feel of the whole car and the paddle shift worked really well as you roared upto a bend, braking hard and knocked it down a couple of gears then powered out of it.

But, once back onto the normal roads and less spirited driving, the paddles seemed a bit awkward. Maybe it was just because I wasnt used to them as much? I had the car for a couple of days and did something like 500 miles in it, so hardly an indepth driving experience - but I did try the car in all the areas id normally use it.... around town, backroad thrashing as well as my normal daily 100mile commute to work.

MPG wise, it came in roughly the same as my manual 350z at the 25->27 region so I suspect the manual 370z will be about the same.

Hi Guys thanks for your reports, I drove a mazda AWD sport 2.3 for a number of years and it had a lovely smooth tiptronic 6 speed auto transmission and I must say I'm missing that in my 350 but maybe the 370 auto isnt as smooth as the mazda was.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who has a 370 auto who had an auto in another car before.

Hope your enjoying your new car Ione

I will be perfectly honest. I had a 370z auto for a week last year as a courtesy car. Just in time for the welsh weekend too :teeth:

I loved the car but i really really didnt get on with the auto box, even with the paddles the change felt delayed. I really missed the manual.

When i get 370 it would have to be manual all the way then change that awful exhaust

I have had the auto for just over a year now. Last week I had a manual 370 for three days whilst mine was in for a service.

The auto box takes some getting used to and it still catches me out now and again. You definately have more control in the manual so if you like to have total control all of the time then it has to be manual.

I would still stick with the auto, when you go to semi auto on the paddles you can drive the car how you like, you just adapt to the delay in the box as you get used to it and can drive it like the manual. Then when you are stuck in that mile long traffic jam the auto takes the strain.

I think it comes down to personal choice but I would test drive both of them.

Mpg I did not notice any real difference.