Tyre dilemma....

brumjohn

Have dilemma at moment, rears def. need changing (currently RE050A's all round) and fronts have limited life in them (only 9000 miles on them but caused by bad tracking). Could do without funding a change for all 4 this month and Selly Oak :thumbs: tyres in Birmingham suggested the Falken 452s or Kumhos, cost ~£120 for Kumho, ~£130 each for Falkens. Knock a tenner off each of those for the fronts equals a hard to beat price. Also full laser wheel alignment for £25/axle. Apparently you need to set the rear first, and then use the rear to set the front, damage to the front may be caused by poor alignment at the rear and hence there maybe no need to adjust the front. I think i understand the logic, prob. unlikely i will not need to have both done but at least don't feel like i'm being shafted (dealer quote at service for 4 new tyres and alignment was a tad over a grand!).

So plan at the mo. is to have new rears (Falken v Kumho?), laser alignment, get a few more weeks/months out of the fronts and then match the front tyres to the rears.

Any partic. issues with running these different sets of tyres in the short term or should i live like a monk for a month and change all 4 but lose some unexpired rubber?

Any long term thoughts on tyre choice? The car is my daily drive and only endures occasional spurts of spirited driving.

Done some limited shopping around and out of loyalty will go back to selly oak tyres but not sure anyone could beat those prices in any event?.

Also what tyre life is everyone getting? i know the biggest factor is prob. driving style but my old e39 did over 100k and there was still life left in just its third set of tyres!

The 452's are highly regarded as being the best tyre on a budget,with 90% of the performance of the MPS's etc at half the price. Iv got them in 19",and happy to say they are great in wet and dry conditions,with well telegraphed limits,and nice break away. I can really feel when the tyres are reaching their limits.

Despite the claims above Falkens are pretty poor in the wet, especially when it's cold.

I've done 7,000 mostly motorway miles on Kumho's and only lost 1-2mm of tread. The soft sidewalls aren't really suited to the Z though.

The 452's are a good tyre but no where near the level of ps2's.

The 452's are highly regarded as being the best tyre on a budget,with 90% of the performance of the MPS's etc at half the price. Iv got them in 19",and happy to say they are great in wet and dry conditions,with well telegraphed limits,and nice break away. I can really feel when the tyres are reaching their limits.

Avon ZZ3, are a good sticky tyre in the dry, good high speed stability in the wet (not the best cornering in the wet) and for what you could call a budget price, wear, hard to tell, its all in how you use them, not being cheeky but if you want tyres that last a million miles a Z is not the car to have, I mean, its just too much fun and its just so easy to go a long weekend to the Ring...

Give em a try, you'll be amazed...

452's are not very good in the wet at all and i found them a bit scary in the winter. Both the tyres you suggest are a big step down from what you already have fitted. If it were me I would buy some more re050a for the rear now and and the same again on the front with next months pay.

If money is tight maybe consider some decent part worns.

My order of preference would be,

Goodyear eagle f1

Michelin ps2's or s's

Bridgestone potenza re050a

Vredestein sessanter

Iv always thought that my 452's were great in the wet to be honest,but then im no mr Vettel,i wonder if the 275 width helps with the grip? Iv driven through some pretty horrific standing water,and found the tyres cut through very well. All depends on what you want really,and how you drive.