Just done my first 350z service...

rabbitstew

Done 10k in the car already since I got it, so it was now due its P1 service.

After servicing my Golf TDI for the last 5 years I had the service down to such a fine art that I could complete a full major service on it in about 17minutes. I figured just a basic oil / oil filter change on the zed should be a piece of cake.

Opened the bonnet up and first thing was trying to find the oil filter. Bit of googling revealed that it was under the bottom of the car. Sigh. So, have to jack the thing up, then next hurdle was removing the bottom plastic tray. My god, they certainly dont believe in having it fall off, there must have been about 14 seperate rusty 10mm bolts holding it in, plus a grommet thing in the middle of it.

Apart from that, once the tray is off, the oil filter (which is staggeringly small compared to the size of filters I normally see on cars) is easy to reach, came undone straight away, and the actual oil change was nice and simple. It did take nearly the whole gallon of oil, but all is well and the car feels smoother already. Ive a little left in the can for top-ups, but this car hasnt used a drop of oil since ive bought it.

Time taken? Well... think it probably took me about an hour. Most of that was trying to workout how to jack the car up and get the undertray off. I also used the old manual ratchet rather than getting the windy gun out as I didnt want to break anything. I expect next time will be quicker, but all in all, I dont see any reason why even the most non-mechanical owner cant try this themselves. :thumbs:

Borrow the use of a hydraulic ramp from someone (if you can) as this is by far the easiest way forward to do an oil change. Why an earth they do not put a decent size service access point in the undertray escapes me. No need then to have to remove the undertray to remove the oil filter. I feel a mod coming on :D

I think there are errors in my Zed documentation. The 'service' schedules seem to suggest more than change oil/filter. :):)

What does your documentation say about a P1 service?

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=32277

suggests that its just oil / filter & inspection.

There are other items which are optional at various mileages, like brake fluid changes and spark plug changes.

Worth checking the air filter often as it gets pretty dirty and a few leaves find their way into the box too.

Check the brake pad thickness as well because they wear a lot quicker than the discs. Popping the wheels off is a laborious job though on the driveway with such a heavy car/wheels.

:thumbs: Good work mate...yes you get the Nissan history at the dealerships but if the car is out of warranty there is no guarantee that some 19 year old at a dealership doing a £300 job is going to do it any better than someone with an eye for mechanics. I recently did mine with my father, we spent about 5 hours in total going over it with a fine tooth comb, changed pads, belts, sparks, oil in engine, diff, gearbox etc etc car runs miles better now, total cost £130 :yahoo:

If you do the service yourself you know it has been done :thumbs:.I never take my car to a garage unless it is warranty work or the job that needs to be done is beyond me, which to date, I am pleased to say is very rare.

yep, why pay someone who might not even do it properly when you can have fun and do it yourself! At least you get to know your car. Keep all the receipts for service stuff you buy and use this when you sell to show what's been done!

Definately. I popped my wheels off a few weeks back and saw my pads were low, so did a brake pad change myself. I think every owner should do a check every few months to see how things are wearing on their cars.

I think there are errors in my Zed documentation. The 'service' schedules seem to suggest more than change oil/filter. :):)

yes they look around and tell you stuff you already know and charge you for it. what else do they do which they so reluctantly charge you for?

Brake pads are the easiest I have done compared to my previous cars

Definitely. Just pop out a couple of pins and slide the pads out on the brembos. I did mine and my missus`s cars the same day and hers was a nightmare in comparison.

yes they look around and tell you stuff you already know and charge you for it. what else do they do which they so reluctantly charge you for?

Bit like those "70 point checks" some garages boast about doing as part of the service.....