Adjusting front strut brace

waltzinblack

Simple question.. I searched 'adjusting strut brace' and 'strut brace' etc but couldnt find this anywhere on here. I need to adjust the front strut bar a bit so it clears the plenum, as at the moment it's VERY close and I'm pretty sure it's vibrating on the engine when I'm driving because there is a MASSIVE vibration and drone through the cabin at 1.5k to 3k rpm (resonant frequency?) and the drone is there across the whole rpm range but less obvious and doesnt vibrate all the trim, :lol:

I googled it, and there were a few american threads but nothing for a complete newbie... so:

-Can I use any old wrench? I understand there are no specific 'torque settings' for the strut bar nuts.

-Correct procedure: do I loosen the middle one (some places say 1.7 turns... does it HAVE to be that much? or does it not matter) and then adjust using the outer two nuts.

-Do the outer nuts adjust a different way to the centre nut? I was under the impression that they go the opposite way... and how do I actually adjust it? I need a little more 'height' so it clears the plenum, it's closer on the driver's side but a little too close for comfort overall.

-Will it blow up if I do it wrong? :lol:

It's already got washers on from spacer kit, and if its possible to just adjust it out a bit whilst its still attached that would be a much easier job that taking the whole thing off to put washers on! Especially because I'm sure that the attachment bolts have specific torque settings and I dont have a torque wrench, but cheers for the input buddy! :)

The two outer nuts are only locking nuts. Mark the center nut, loosen the two outer nuts, Make your adjustement to the center nut by however much you want(sorry cant remember which way tightens and which loosens,you can tell by looking at the treads or just give it a turn and it will be obvious if you cant tell by looking). Once your happy with your new position tighten the two locking nuts. Its a doddle mate you'll be fine and finished in less than a minute :thumbs:

I can't make much of the original post, however if the strut brace is touching the plenum then you will have to space the brace up by placing spacers under the strut brace where it fixes to the body of the car. (3 bolts and one nut either side on the inner wings)

If you space up to much the brace will start to rattle off the bonnet.

Alex. :)

I'm guessing from the other thread that you've put in a plenum spacer. I put one in the other week. You have to add in the spacers supplied with the kit under each end of the strut bar where it connects to the chassis (8 spacers). You can then use the strut bar adjustment nut on the left hand side (middle one that is attached to the thread) to then change the tension and the height of the bar above the plenum. You will have to loosen the two outer nuts first.

Tightening the adjustment nut and adding tension to the bar causes it to bow upwards and clear the plenum. You need about 10mm of clearance between the bar and the plenum at it's lowest point to stop it from catching the plenum whilst driving. This is still low enough not to catch on the bonnet.

Thanks for the reply stubzie! That was exactly what I needed but a little too late! Found a mate with an adjustable wrench and we did it!

I updated the other thread but forgot this one!

We put the spacers on with the kit, but I think that the strut bar was adjusted a little too short as it was, spaced it out and now no rattles/drones at all! it's amazing how much difference the vibrations made, the whole car droned and vibrated SO much and so deeply!