Gearbox, going to sort but options?

coldel

Have bounced around on the forum with this ongoing problem on various threads but seriously going to take the problem on in October and get it sorted.

Bought the Zed start of April, clutch went a month later. So replced that, since then the gearbox clunks. Its not a 'feature' clunk but an actual clunk caused by what sounds, and feels, like the metal in the gearbox moving about as if its not holding together properly. Its at its worst when I put it in first gear and drive along at about 5-10mph and lift off the throttle, it sounds like the engaged gears come apart and hit something. Its so hard to describe as it feels worse than it sounds, I can feel the movement under the car through the seat.

So, first point of call is to run it by an expert, would this be something Abbey could look at? I am in Windsor, anyone know of any local experts?

Secondly, anticipating the news being something like 'its in a bad way' I guess I have options of:

1] Buy used, investigated this and there are cheaper options with short warranties on offer. Clearly though I won't know the history.

2] Recondition my gearbox, what is the cost of this? Anyone know who does them?

3] Buy a reconditioned gearbox, I have heard that CD009 boxes are the latest and best option on this front, where can I get one of these?

Sorry for daft questions, I have no experience sorting out something like this. Wife is 5 months pregnant and last thing I need is this gearbox falling to pieces whilst she is driving round the M25 at night :scare: so am having a bit of a knee jerk here!

Really...crikey, yeah its VERY loud isn't it, you can hear it clunking about 50 metres away no problem. If I drive at 10mph in 1st then take foot off throttle, the car judders as it slows and I get a series of knocks in time with the judders - if I change gear ever so carefully....very slowly feeding the clutch in it doesnt do anything...?

Really...crikey, yeah its VERY loud isn't it, you can hear it clunking about 50 metres away no problem. If I drive at 10mph in 1st then take foot off throttle, the car judders as it slows and I get a series of knocks in time with the judders - if I change gear ever so carefully....very slowly feeding the clutch in it doesnt do anything...?

Yep mines has been like that since day 1. If sitting in standstill traffic I notice it alot. I think alot of the noise comes from the diff, driveshafts, propshafts etc. I think its just all losely put together and this then echo's into the gearbox. Mines makes a whining noise also when in first and I left off. Its not overly loud, just like an electric motor slowing down.

I took mines back to nissan to try and get a new box but they told me to ram it :lol:

When I put new fluid in the diff and gearbox along with molyslip it quietened it a little but i think the dual mass fly makes alot of noise which will add to all the clangs and clutters.

I honestly wouldnt worry to much about it, even though it is embarrassing. The noise has made me kangaroo a few times try to make it quieter lol.

I have something similar with mine, very clunky at low speeds and jerky off throttle in first gear. I'm convinced it's the flywheel making the noise. I suspect that the springs between the two masses are probably a bit worn and they are moving about more than they should.

I fitted an engine torque damper to try and get rid of the jerky off throttle response and difficulty changing up into second gear after pulling away. It did help a lot. The car would slow down smoothly in first gear off throttle and I found the gear change from first to second a lot less clunky and more direct. I'm planning on getting a urethane gearbox mount as well as the torque damper seems to need tightening up every so often and it's becoming less effective as it wears.

Yep mines has been like that since day 1. If sitting in standstill traffic I notice it alot. I think alot of the noise comes from the diff, driveshafts, propshafts etc. I think its just all losely put together and this then echo's into the gearbox. Mines makes a whining noise also when in first and I left off. Its not overly loud, just like an electric motor slowing down.

I took mines back to nissan to try and get a new box but they told me to ram it :lol:

When I put new fluid in the diff and gearbox along with molyslip it quietened it a little but i think the dual mass fly makes alot of noise which will add to all the clangs and clutters.

I honestly wouldnt worry to much about it, even though it is embarrassing. The noise has made me kangaroo a few times try to make it quieter lol.

Might try molyslip see what that does...no noise at all whilst engine is idling, just when i lift off throttle and car kangaroos of its own accord and with each hop you hear two pieces of metal clanging together. Also get the noise when playing on the biting point and engaging the gears.

Might try molyslip see what that does...no noise at all whilst engine is idling, just when i lift off throttle and car kangaroos of its own accord and with each hop you hear two pieces of metal clanging together. Also get the noise when playing on the biting point and engaging the gears.

The dual mass is designed to absorb the shock from the drivetrain and gearbox etc thats why it makes noise i'm sure

I know exactly what you mean about the embarassment of a noisy gearbox, mine doesn't sound quite as bad as yours, but i can make a perfectly good 1st to 2nd shift and it sounds like i didn't bother using the clutch, not good when you're round town. I have to double clutch mine for low rev 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifts, but it's amazing how much difference that makes, no noise at all. PIA though

DB

Cheers Will, lets do that, you can take mine out too see how it compares up on the clutch and gearbox.

i'll be down your neck to pick up my car in feb, if you still think its dodge you can have a spin in mines. Mines has had its fair amount of abuse lol

I'm having a P3 service and gearbox and diff oil change on Friday at Abbey. I'll let you know if they have any comments/concerns about my transmission and if the oil change helps out with the noise and feel of the gearbox

Okay, I've had the service, no comments about the transmission noises or feel from Abbey (I did ask them to check). Now that the cars back the drive-line feels much tighter and less clunky. My release bearing noise has subsided quite a bit and no rattles, clunks or jerkiness at low speed coasting in first/second gear as there was before. Maybe something was loose underneath, I'll probably never know. But it feels a lot better.

The gearbox and diff oil change seems to have reduced the whine at high revs under WOT and generally given the box a less clunky more direct feel. The shifts are still fairly tight, but it actually now shifts when and where I want it without the vague clunky feel it had before. In all a good result apart from finding out I need new compression arm bushes :doh:

Well...had a drive of Will's roadster and there is a knock, similar to mine, but about 10% of the volume...guess it is a 'feature' but just a special one as its much louder! Cheers for checking that out Will.

Think I will save the money and buy something else instead..