Got me a non-repairable puncture :(

cerealuk

Typical, got home late last night and got out the car only to hear a nasty hiss from my back tyre. Quickly took it off and put on the trusty spacesaver before it went totally flat as didnt want the rim digging into the tyre overnight

Took it in to be looked at on my lunchbreak and got told that as the puncture is on the edge of the rim of tyre (a few mm from where it touches the road, it cant be fixed :(

The tyre was a Maxis and was probably 3/5 of the way throught its life so Im guessing I need to change both rear tyres now at the same time?

I have Continentals on the front of some variety. The guy at the garage recommended another brand which he said were "b line continentals" think the name began with a "B".

Does this sound right about not being repairable? Its not a huge hole.. just had a small sharp wood splinter in it

Any recommendations? I do 8000ish miles/yr and drive sensibly 75% of the time :lol::lol:

Could also be the excuse im looking for to upgrade the alloys.. it seems that usually you get the tyres silly cheap if you buy at the same time as the alloys (or am i missing something) ?

Some may say this is not a sensible idea, but I had a puncture on my landcruiser which was could not be repaired due to the location of it. There is a special gas, not sure what it is called but for £10 per tyre they fill up your tyre with this gas and it seals the hole. This worked for about 4-5, then I had to change the tyre. Worth a try?

It's on the outer Of the tyre near the side wall most places will refuse to fix it.

On my last set of bridgestone RE050s I got a puncture in that area after a week of putting it on. No big places would fix it but a wee centre did it for me and asked me to keep an eye on it.

If they say they wouldn't repair i'd go with that TBH. The last thing you would want is a blowout esp if it happened on your 25% fun day.

I beleive the tyre he was referring to was a Matador as i think they are rebranded cheap Conti's might be wrong though. I had them and TBH they were'nt very good. Not too good in the wet or dry, typical budget tyre.

Hope this helps.

Cheer, Lionel

If there's any doubt and I'd want to have a good look at the tyre myself. Replace it, having one blow out on the motorway or the like, would not be pleasant. :scare:

Had bad puncture a while back, that set only had about 1500kms on them, replaced with the same on all four corners (as usual), so sold 3 on our equivalent of ebay. Always better safe than sorry and make a few quid out of the previous set. :thumbs: