ECU Reset - Supprising results.

Greddy-Matt

Hi all

This could just be an oddity but, since I bought it, the car has always pulled like a train lower down the rev range, mid range was good but the top end felt really flat and a little gutless, my mpg was around 18-20 (not that it bothers me, my last car did anywhere from 9-20).

I changed the air filter, oil and sparkies but that made little difference, so I wondered if the ECU was pulling the timing for some reason? Well after a quick ECU reset, I've put a few miles on it and really happy to say that its made a big difference higher on up the rev range, she seems to pull nice and strong all the way to the redline B) BUT the big supprise is my mpg has gone up massively!! I'm now getting an average of 25-27mpg, instead of the 18-20!

Does anyone know why this would be, or is it just a coincidence the mpg has gone up so much?

I have to say the first few weeks of ownership have been awesome, puts a smile on my face every time I turn the key :D

Regards

Matt

Did you reset by disconnecting the battery or unplugging the ecu? If it was the battery I expect it would've zero'd the mpg so it started from fresh and you've been driving in that mpg region since then, hence the good reading. If you've been having fun (so the guage shows 12mpg for example) and then cruise on the motorway at 34mpg (or there abouts) it'll take a long time for the gauge to show 34mpg as it is, after all, an 'average' so it has to average out mileage.

Hi guys,

The car is just stock performance wise at the moment, I used the Engine / ECU reset (using the key and the accelerator pedal etc, and pulled the power at the battery (as I've put a new one in ready for winter).

Hoovering the car out today I did find a petrol receipt (along with other things) under the drivers seat, looks like the last owner had filled it up on standard rather than super unleaded (although i've put a tank of shell optimax through it since), so I'm guessing that will have been why it didn't feel as pokey?

I'll see how it goes looking forward to putting some miles on her this weekend. :drive1

If they have been using 95RON and you put in 98RON+ and reset the ECU that will make it feel quite a bit more pokey :thumbs:

Unfortunately you may loose a bit of it as it dials in the fuel trims over time, but an UpRev map will keep it feeling sharp as it is now :drive1

• 2 weeks later...