Would 16 inch wheels work for the winter?

sasha@lazytrips

Here's an interesting question.

Say you want to drive right across Europe & back in the middle of the winter with most countries requiring winter tyres.

Let's also presume that you have a stupid sporty rear-wheel drive car which will throw a wobbler as soon as it sees anything other than hard tarmac unless it has some appropriate rubber.

Add to this the fact that it is virtually impossible to get all-season tyres for 19'' wheels.

So I got thinking and came up with this:

What if I went and bought some "cool rims", say 16 inch by 6.5 and fitted big fat all season tyres to them (215/60 and 215/65). Given that all-in this could actually come out pretty cheap due to the sizes, is there anything that I haven't considered in this set up?

I'd be worried about scraping the underside of the car due to the lower height. In addition for better snow driving you need thinner dimensions to penetrate snow. I'd just take a sensible car if doing a lot of winter condition driving

Unless the offsets are crazy or you use quite wide spacers I would be doubtful they would clear the front Brembos or JDM calipers. :shrug:

I have been checking out tyres over the last couple of days and winter tyres are certainly available for the normal 18 and 19 inch wheels for the ZEDs ;)

Try here for example: http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Winter_Tyres.html

edit: seeing you posted at the same time as me - you don't really want to look for "fat" tyres for snow and ice, better to be on the skinny side to cut through that stuff. Mostly though its the silica they use in the tread compounds that makes winter tyres work.

Will 16s clear the brakes? Offset Is also important.

How about 17 jdm wheels on winter rubber? I *think* they clear brembos.

brembo clearance is something I didn't think of. Would need to look at that. Taking another car is not an option & I'm not planning on driving off-road or over mountain peaks - just a trip across to Russia and back.

Alternatively - anybody know where you can get 19'' fat all-season tyres? :blush:

Unless the offsets are crazy or you use quite wide spacers I would be doubtful they would clear the front Brembos or JDM calipers. :shrug:

I have been checking out tyres over the last couple of days and winter tyres are certainly available for the normal 18 and 19 inch wheels for the ZEDs ;)

Try here for example: http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Winter_Tyres.html

Looked at that site as well as numerous others. Not really keen on spending £200-300 a corner + fitting/balancing.