Single exit exhaust on NA

Daze

Thought I'd make another thread since this is kind of different from my previous, but following on from

This >> viewtopic.php?f=62&t=53519

Any advantage/disadvantage for going single exit? From getting some quotes for custom exhausts, its turning out more expensive than I originally thought, but I think a single exit would probably be a lot cheaper to make :p

Also doesn't look too bad IMO, slightly more subtle and a bit unique.

My current system goes twin decats > y-pipe > midpipe > K2 backbox.

So the gasses already flow into 1 single pipe. Can't see it making too much difference if they exit in 1 pipe or 2 B)

Thoughts? :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Advantages - The noise, weight savings, the noise :cloud9: better flow

Disadvantages - None apart from the abuse you recieve on here :p

I ran a single for nearly 4 years on my car, both NA & FI. It will flow a lot better than a non true dual twin since the gases are just exiting straight out instead of going into a huge box at the back - When I had a twin fitted, my custom exhaust guy said that the back box was a huge limiting factor in my setup :) I can't really say if it made me any extra power though as everytime I got dynoed I had a different setup

It will be a lot cheaper to custom make aswell, I only paid about £350 for a brand new GReddy exhaust, although if I was buying now then I'd be waiting for the upcoming Tomei version :cloud9:

If I ever get another Z, it will have a single on it again (although I may refrain from cutting out the silencers this time :lol:)

DSC_18432.jpg

DSC_3585.jpg

DSC_3526.jpg

Couple of vids of the various setups I used :)

HKS SC, Cosworth plenum, DC headers, Tomei decats, custom Y-pipe & GReddy exhaust with midpipe silencer removed

ARC intake, DC headers, Japspeed decats, Ichiba Y-pipe & GReddy exhaust with the silencer cutout

JWT popcharger, Custom HFC, Ichiba y-pipe & a GReddy exhaust with the midpipe intact :)

A single will be loud, when mine was supercharged it was 101db at idle & 122db at 4.5K RPM :lol: BUT it was completley unbearable, you couldn't even hear the person sat next to you talking because it was so loud :blush:

Everyone says how loud the K1 is but anyone who has heared my car in the flesh or been a passenger in my car will till you just how much louder than a K1 it is :lol:

If you do go this route then make sure you get a big back box with it, there was someone on here who attempted a single exit with a small pipe & box and it looked awful :thumbdown:

Ah that's awesome, thanks for the reply!

Quite ironic really, I've just cut & removed my old rear can from my other car (s13) which will probably work & fit perfectly on my 350z, along with a touch of high skill welding from my buddy, should look pretty good!!

Have to say, it does seem to sound a lot better in those video's than mine does at the moment with the K2. Sounds more meaty & purposeful rather than the little rasp I currently get.

:bounce: Great stuff!!

A single exit looks erm, just wrong on a Zed :surrender:

Nonsense :p You really need to see one in the flesh to appreciate them, I think a lot of people would agree with that :)

Ians was a fair bit louder than a K1 - but sounded a lot nicer :thumbs:

I used to vibrate the houses in my street just at idle :blush: It used to sound amazing :cloud9:

You really could hear me coming from a good few miles away :lol:

Ah sweet, nice.

Yeah my 350 is my daily, and my s13 is my drifter.

20110730033.jpg

And my currently boring, stock 350.

5672870562_e88e00368a_b.jpg

Shortly going for new wheels, some low & sorting out this exhaust! :lol:

Anyway - back on topic - this is good news for me. I'm pretty certain my mate (legend welder) can probably sort this out or me for probably sub £100! Also really helps since I have a spare 5" rear can in good condition that I'm not using! B)

single exit definitely looks unique on an NA... i rekon it should be one exhaust for each bank of cylinders, or one exhaust per turbo. if you convert to a single turbo setup then a single exit would be fine, but really for a V6 NA it should be a true dual exhaust setup.

Thats in my opinion anyways!

single exit definitely looks unique on an NA... i rekon it should be one exhaust for each bank of cylinders, or one exhaust per turbo. if you convert to a single turbo setup then a single exit would be fine, but really for a V6 NA it should be a true dual exhaust setup.

I sort of have to agree, however, the Japspeed system goes into 1 pipe anyway, so no point splitting back out into 2?

If I had a spare grand (lol) or so, then I'd probably go true dual setup, but that's a lodda cash for some shiny pipework.

You are aware that the stock exhaust is not true dual?

indeed, i do think it a bit weird that the stock exhaust collects to one pipe then splits again at the box - as i say, ideally it would be a true dual! i think nissan must have compromised the pipe for cost, i cant see any reason why they'd choose to have just the one mid section for performance or emissions.

strangely they've gone for two cats, but one centre pipe! id have thought if they wanted to save money it would merge straight after the manifold, then have a single cat, so theres only the cost of one!