xbox 360 games - sale

neo

Never been a Halo fan, found it too repetitive. I was thinking, Gears of War, PGR or test drive unlimited (which is best) And Tiger woods too. That should be enough to see me through the cold days of christmas, is this a good call?

PGR is awesome. I like it better than Test drive unlimited. Tiger woods is great to play on your own and superb with friends (get the beers in!)

gears of war is pretty good too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but PC games are just that - PC games, I like startegy games on the PC, red alert, command and conquer etc..

You play PC games sat at a desk with a monitor and headphones or speakers.

I play Gears of War, Splinter Cell etc on my plasma in the front room lounging on the sofa with a wireless controller.

VOice interaction with all the players through a wireless headset, and graphics that blow away any PC graphics, well that is, any PC that you can buy with the same money as an Xbox 360 costs.

I do like my PC for single player strategy, but online multiplayer with really playable games, its got to be consoles for me.

when you say console games have better graphics than PC games I hope you are kidding! :lol:

PS PC multiplayer games are in every aspect much superior than console games. I am actually looking forward to the day when PC gamers will be able to wipe their arses with console gamers over the net :lol: Imagine playing the same FPS on the net with PC gamers using proper controls and console players trying to play it with a gamepad :lol:

PPS if you think the xbox360 looks good on a plasma, use that DVI connection and hook up any decent PC and play any recent title (hell even FEAR or Oblivion, 1 year old games!) and then compare ;)

only one thing console games are superior is multiplayer same room games. (ie when you have your mates around and play the same game on dual controllers)

console hardware is fixed to whatever you have insude your console, and game developers are stuck with it for the lifecycle of the console.

PC games hardware gets upgraded every few months and pc games developers can take advantage of ever increasing powerful hardware. For that reason only consoles will never reach the complexity/beauty of PC games.

hell they even dumbed down COD3 for consoles! :lol:

Any strategy game is too complex for console hardware to process, as well as higher resolutions for graphically demanding games are simply not achievable on consoles

THE biggest advantage for games on a console is that the hardware spec is fixed, so if it runs well on 1 machine it will run without problems on all. Thats something which cannot be said of pc games, where you constantly need to upgrade RAM, CPU, GPU to keep up with the latest games, and hardware and driver issues are daily business. For non-tech ppl a console is just much easier to use, no installations, just pop the dvd in and play

that's also the biggest DISADVANTAGE of consoles.

And once ayear is plenty with regards to upgrading. in fact, not even as often as that. Now of course if you are not capable/knowledgeable enough of doing that yourself, you should stick to console games, even kids can use those :lol:

which is just an abysmal game in my books (and always better on PC anyway, again :lol: )

just to reiterate, consoles at any given point in their life (save probably at lauch but then again their hardware is already old when they hit the stores :lol: ) will not be capable of running the best PC games.

Is GTR 2 out for consoles btw? Now that is proper driving sim, for example. tell a console to reproduce that :lol:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/gaming/re ... 0/GTR-2/p1

Val - Xbox 360 runs 1080p over HDMI.

To get a PC to run that sort of quality at 60+fps, you are looking well over a grand, and then youve got a keyboard and mouse to stick in your front room.

As for the complexity of games for a console - have you ever compared the specs of a gaming PC to that of a next gen console like the Xbox 360? The processing power of a 360 is immense compared.

Have you actually played an xbox 360 running on a HD telly?

Id like to see anyone keep pace with the fast action of Gears of War using PC controls and a mouse. It simply wont happen.

Active reload of a sniper rifle whilst sidestepping a boomshot, and having your finger over the "switch to smoke grenade" button at the same time (for those who have played gears of war) - would be quite frankly impossible on a PC.

As above the fact that a consoles hardware is fixe is a MAJOR advantage for developers. They can pump out games that they know they havent got to test on a myriad of different platforms and continually release patches for the next 12 months.

They can put all that manpower into developing more complex games.

Sony Playstation and Xbox (both versions of each so far) are the biggest games market on the face of the earth. If they were so much inferior to PC's, why are they so popular?

Sorry Val, but you are wrong.:blush:

Is GTR 2 out for consoles btw? Now that is proper driving sim, for example. tell a console to reproduce that :lol:

Val, GTR2 is by no means anything special. If you want physics in a driving game, try Forza 2 on the 360.

Good luck getting a pc to reproduce these at 60+fps without spending a good grand or so.... Oh and then to race a bunch of other people online, they all need £1000 pc's too... :lol:

http://uk.media.xbox360.ign.com/media/7 ... mgs_2.html

Val, GTR2 is by no means anything special. If you want physics in a driving game, try Forza 2 on the 360.

:lol: you can tell by that answer that you are not a racing sim fan ;)

you just said the most advanced racing simulation EVER on any platform is nothing special only as you looked at the pictures of the game :lol:

FPS on a console controller are like playing a racing game with a console controller... shite

there is a keyboard and mouse adapter out soon for the 360, do a google, think it will be around $90 (US) tho :wacko:

agreed that you can't get a new decent gfx card for the price of a complete 360 :)

programming for a console will always push the programmer to find new and better ways to use the hardware thus 2007/2008 games for the 360 will get better and better, unlike the pc games that need to be programmed for 100's of different configuration's from quite a few different companies, if that makes sense :teeth:

i've got a 4600 X2 chip,1GB ram, 7800gt 256MB and i still can't get call of duty 2 to run smoothly (30+fps) with all the settings maxed out (4xAA 8AF 1280x1024 and all extra settings)

only because every kid and his dog can plug a dvd into a console and play a game, (hence their popularity) it doesn't mean that those games are the best, at all. In fact quite the opposite. For the intelligent and discerning gamer, console games are so dumbed down and uncomplicated (to appeal to exactly that mass market you just mentioned) it's just not funny :lol: But fair enough, enough casual gamers will want the hassle free dumbed down console games. each to their own

Chris, why do you keep talking about telly resolutions? 1080p wooo the latest in telly definition, bet your tv doesn't even support it! :lol: To run higher resolutions, it's going to end up being cheaper to upgrade your PC components than your plasma every year or so :lol: so that you can run any PC game at any resolution you'd like.

Even mainstream PC gfx cards nowadays are better performaing that an xbox360 gpu :lol: the Xbox360 hardware is already 1 year old! :lol: in terms of technology you can basically call it obsolete. :yawn:

And as for complexity, you got the wrong end of the stick: when you mention this fabled GOW complexity, you just quoted the awkwardness of the controller, right there! :lol:

agreed that you can't get a new decent gfx card for the price of a complete 360 :)

programming for a console will always push the programmer to find new and better ways to use the hardware thus 2007/2008 games for the 360 will get better and better, unlike the pc games that need to be programmed for 100's of different configuration's from quite a few different companies, if that makes sense :teeth:

i've got a 4600 X2 chip,1GB ram, 7800gt 256MB and i still can't get call of duty 2 to run smoothly (30+fps) with all the settings maxed out (4xAA 8AF 1280x1024 and all extra settings)

:lol: that's just user error

true that is where they make the most money but hey you've bought games you haven't even played yet :p

consoles and pc's have both got there strengths and weaknesses so just buy both then it's a win win situation :teeth:

looking at the 360's specs, really it's a PC! :lol:

XBOX 360 SPECS

CPU with three IBM PowerPC 3.2Ghz cores

ATI 500MHz graphics processor

48 billion shader operations per second

512Mb GDDR3 RAM of memory

Removable and upgradeable 20Gb hard drive

Three USB ports

Windows Media Extender built-in

Support for DVD-video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R, CD-DA, CD-R, WMA CD, MP3 CD, Jpeg photo CD

basically it's a PC that you can only play on :lol:

Oh and the much acclaimed GOW runs on the Unreal 3 engine... now where did I hear that name from....? Developed by Epic.. again the name sounds familiar...hmmm :lol:

Val,

You are just wrong on this issue. My telly actualy doesnt support 1080p, only 1080i, but the second one will support 1080p.

As far as development for consoles go, the games push the hardware further then any PC game pushes the physics or graphics hardware.

The simple answer as to why this is a fact, is because the hardware specification remains static. For example, a decent game can take anything up to one year to develop. By the time developers have finished the project, its not even pushing the current hardware anywhere near its limits.

In short, the developers are always many steps behind the hardware, and the owners are always behind the hardware too.

With static hardware, the developers hav time to compile new ways of using hardware, and push the hardware further.

Yes GOW runs on the unreal 3 engine, well the basics of the unreal 3 engine anyway - but I defy you to point to a game on the PC platform that builds on that engine anywhere near as well as GOW.

Then there is another major consideration to take into account, which is the operating system. A PC may have specs above and beyond a console on paper, but by the time its finished starting up the OS and all affiliated drivers, its on the backfoot before its asked to run major physics.

Developers for PC games have to hold back on development in order to ensure the game works on the vast majority of PC's, any fine detail of coding for processors, will result in the game no working correctly on anything other than that particular processor.

Yes, the xbox360 hardware is over 1 year old, but thats just how long it can take to fully develop a game that can take advantage of specific hardware. At this point in time I would pitch the latest 360 games against any PC game.

I actually speak from experience, until recently I used to take part in PC lan sessions, where a group would get together and play PC games networked, yes they are impressive, and having played on some major games rigs that the people brought with them (Im talking watercooled graphics cards, never mind CPU's) I can honestly say the xbox is more fun, and the quality is every bit as good if not superior in many circustances.

You make a lot of posts on this subject, littered with smilies as if you find it funny that people could think a puny little white box could be as good as a PC, but have you actually played a 360 on a 42inch HD telly? Have you played gears of war? Have you any actual experience of the 360?

I'll give you this though, I cant get on this forum through my xbox, so I wont be confining my PC to the loft just yet :lol: