Pointless Threads

Sarnie

Why aren't we allowed to have pointless threads? We post them in the off topic section to stop people moaning. Surely topics in the OFF TOPIC category can't go off topic :surrender:

Surely by allowing these threads to exist will prevent (Or at least reduce) people from spamming threads, hi-jacking threads, hold conversations mid-thread etc etc.

Just locking threads is surely not the answer. I fully appreciate a specific topic (such as tyres, FI or zorsts) being taken off topic can be annoying. But if a topic starts as something nothing to do with 350Z's, as long as its in the appropriate area, why can't it be allowed to exist to allow people (like myself and others) to do so?

I love my car but its not the only thing in my life, which means its not the only thing I want to talk about. I love this site and the people on it. Chatting to people about stuff other than cars is our communities like this can grow beyond the limitations of car talk.

Anyway, I'm tired now :yawn:

And as I seem to have taken my own post off topic I'm going to bed :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the issue is that atm it's got so bad that we have to lock threads due to "you lot" spamming every single one of them. nevermind the ones in the off topic area....

let's get a grip and you'll see no more threads locked ;)

The point is, sometimes we just wanna talk @*!#. Some people more than others. Captint locked the avatar thread just because he thought it was pointless. It was in the off topic area where it should be. Theres loads of stuff on here non zed related that I find tedious but I choose not to read them..................

the issue is that atm it's got so bad that we have to lock threads due to "you lot" spamming every single one of them. nevermind the ones in the off topic area....

The point is, sometimes we just wanna talk @*!#. Some people more than others. Captint locked the avatar thread just because he thought it was pointless. It was in the off topic area where it should be. Theres loads of stuff on here non zed related that I find tedious but I choose not to read them..................

I think thats what they mean by the live chat tool

But the live chat is @*!#. Loads of people all replying to people getting confused who exactly is talking to who :thumbdown:

But the live chat is @*!#. Loads of people all replying to people getting confused who exactly is talking to who :thumbdown:

Ive never used it to be honest.

How about a spam section, where we can just spam away until our heart is content?

Quite some forums i visit have this "live chat" function. There isn't one forum where it has success. Its just a different way of communicating. It's like saying "lets all add eachother on msn and have a group conversation". Doesnt work either :p

The advantage of a forum is that you can reply to Sarnie's postwhoring without having to wait for Sarnie to join the "room" (then again, is he ever out of the room? :p). On a chat, if there is nobody you just have to wait before spamming, and moreover, it doesnt increase your postcount so no free sticker :p

Ive never used it to be honest.

How about a spam section, where we can just spam away until our heart is content?

We used to have a daily thread that a mod would post up. Something like Friday: Why is Azure so dull etc allowing plenty of spamming, insults and general bad behaviour :band:

Actually Sarnie, I locked it as it was turning in to a complete pile of pointless banter. Off topic does not mean slanging matches and pointless comments it's alternative topics. Just posting constant answers to boost your post count does not count as an off topic discussion

Actually Sarnie, I locked it as it was turning in to a complete pile of pointless banter.

So what banter is NOT pointless. Its all pointless. It was an atlernattive topic in the alternative topic area. The banter enhances the social element of this site and makes it what the OC will never be. By locking threads all your doing is shifting the problem elsewhere.

And for the record, I'd be 100% in favour of totally delting and freezing post counts at zero. :thumbs:

I can't believe such hardened spammers don't know how to use a live chat :lol:

I agree with captint, no more avatar, no need for that thread to stay open, btw.

with regards to the daily thread, not just mods can start one, start one sarnie and spam away. We'll make sure antyhign posted in the offtopic section doesn't count towards your post count ;)

this will mean we'll be even stricter on all the other threads, so please be aware of it.

Actually Sarnie, I locked it as it was turning in to a complete pile of pointless banter.

So what banter is NOT pointless. Its all pointless. It was an atlernattive topic in the alternative topic area. The banter enhances the social element of this site and makes it what the OC will never be. By locking threads all your doing is shifting the problem elsewhere.

And for the record, I'd be 100% in favour of totally delting and freezing post counts at zero. :thumbs:

Or maybe the offtopic section does not add to your post count????

Not too bad an idea, I used a local site with about 1500 members that my mate ran and he ended up having no avatars, sigs or post count as people kept taking the ****!

I like the little sigs and avatars though as they add some personality!

I think this site is running along quite smoothly now , so long as nobody takes ther p1ss too much.

.. a bit of trivial banter will always be Ok, as just talking about Zed's / cars is going to get boring after so long.. when everyone has done the same mods , put on the same bodykits etc where do you go from there ?? :)

Sarnie

I agree with The Minels comments. The overall point is, the community on this forum is exceptional and I think everyone enjoy's it and the banter that goes with it, but if every thread is over run by banter that runs off topic or is degenerating then harsher controls would have to be imposed and and the end of the day, no-one wants that