95 octane unleaded

wesmin

The only thing I can get locally is BP ultimate, and that's 97. Assume that's ok.

One query I have is, do these fuel additives like STP claiming to up the op actually work, and if so, is it worth keeping a bottle handy if yer caught short and have to fill up on the cheap stuff? :headhurt:

BP is fine, it's what I run the 911 on and what I used to run the Zed on :thumbs:

The additives make a hell of a difference. Due to a balls-up by one unnamed tuning company my old mk3 turbocharged MR2 was mapped for 100+ RON rather than the 97 I wanted. As such, I had to fill up every single time with a tank of the good stuff plus a bottle of the additive, and if I didn't do so it would pre-detonate all over the place. Scary stuff, but at least it gave me full confidence in the product. Millers is by the far the best bang for buck, £4.99 gets you one shot for a whole tank. Well worth keeping a bottle in the boot just in case.

Thanks for the info pal. Good to know I'm not wasting sponds on it.

Does that Redex stuff work?. I noticed Asda has it at 2 quid for a bottle and halfrauds is selling the same size for 8. It says it has detergents to clean injectors etc, but I was under the impression that BP Ultimate had the same in it, or are the claims of improved mileage and performance negligible in both cases!!

• 2 weeks later...

By Planetsurfer2

If you look at my dynos you'll see a difference of about 7 HP. First dyno was with 95RON fuel, second was with 98RON fuel.

Is there a link? I am surprised that only 7bhp difference was measured. I doubt most people could even feel that. Is the torque down at lower rpm though?

When I had my Zed UpRev remapped at Abbey, they told me they'd mapped it for 95, and there was no point in putting the more expensive fuel in as the ECU would learn and re-compensate for the different fuel so after a few tanks any performance benefits would dwindle off.

Maybe this is another advantage of the re-map, as it saves you cost of the premium pricing - but perhaps Mark at Abbey could add more detail -

My re-mapping was done in 2 sessions, the first was the UpRev when I had just a new Y Pipe and the 2nd was when I had a plenum spacer and Berks fitted. The results from my 'before' curve on the 2nd remap were identical to my 'after' curve from the 1st time, so 1 year apart the engine was giving exactly the same output - and she'd been fed 95 Octane all the time through the year.

At roughly 7p per litre extra, the differential adds up to quite a bit, and I think this saving is a useful extra benefit from a remap. (Not that it formed any of the motive for it!)

I seem to be getting about 2 mpg more since the Berks / plenum / 2nd remap as well, and it's definitely not because I'm driving slower, as the tone from the Berks is so beautiful I find myself accelerating out of corners and away from roundabouts just to listen to the howl. . . .