Thought it was going to be a good day!

Southernspeed

...until 6.30 this morning when I put my foot on the clutch and BANG, pedal straight to the floor :thumbdown:

Now I have to get home lunchtime to meet the recovery truck to get it taken over to it's favourite second home, Abbey Motorsport :)

Annoying thing is, engine is coming out in a month or two, couldn't wait 'til then could it! Had to be awkward and break today :lol:

What you doing taking the engine out? Is it not worth leaving it at Abbey til your doing, well whatever, to your engine so you can do it all in one hit?

I'll see what Mark says. I doubt they need it hanging about and I don't want to be without a car that long.

Engine is coming out because Mark has a box sailing across the sea with forged rods and pistons in and I have Ian's S/C in my garage :D

Car got collected by Green Flag at 1 on the dot as arranged. Mark text me at 2 to say it had arrived safely, then text me again half hour later to say clutch hose had split and he had braided ones in stock. How's that for service! :D

Thats not bad then! Cheaper than a new clutch.

I had the same thing in my old golf. I was driving along and bang, clutch pedal to the floor. The actual pedal had snapped. I drove the 30mile home with no clutch. Dead easy when you know how by rev matching. Then had to get some replacement plastic bits for a few quid from VW and reweld the clutch pedal myself. All in all cost me pennys, but could have been an expensive job had the clutch actually went.

What you doing taking the engine out? Is it not worth leaving it at Abbey til your doing, well whatever, to your engine so you can do it all in one hit?

I'll see what Mark says. I doubt they need it hanging about and I don't want to be without a car that long.

Engine is coming out because Mark has a box sailing across the sea with forged rods and pistons in and I have Ian's S/C in my garage :D

oooOOOooo.. when you get that done mate let me know so I can pop round and have a nose please :teeth: I'm only round the corner.

Car got collected by Green Flag at 1 on the dot as arranged. Mark text me at 2 to say it had arrived safely, then text me again half hour later to say clutch hose had split and he had braided ones in stock. How's that for service! :D

I had the same thing in my old golf. I was driving along and bang, clutch pedal to the floor. The actual pedal had snapped. I drove the 30mile home with no clutch. Dead easy when you know how by rev matching. Then had to get some replacement plastic bits for a few quid from VW and reweld the clutch pedal myself. All in all cost me pennys, but could have been an expensive job had the clutch actually went.

Something similar in my Lotus Europa, big bang, clutch straight to the floor, had to drive home about 35 miles without a clutch, quite easy in that particular car actually. Got it down to my mate's garage and it turned out that one of the engine mountings had snapped :scare: and the cable had simply popped out. A quick weld later and I was back on the road for a tenner :)

Pete

oooOOOooo.. when you get that done mate let me know so I can pop round and have a nose please :teeth: I'm only round the corner.

No definate date as yet, depends on Tony "Daddy" Abbey's engine building schedule :) but hopefully September some time.

Have you got a fat left foot mate? It sounds pretty funny. How did you start and move it or was it already moving?

Well it wasn't so much a 'split' as the hose coming away from the end fitting due to it being so rotten and rusted. Quite worrying as brake hoses are made the same way!

Could well be worth taking at look at your own clutch hoses. If the end fittings are a rust ball, new hose time !

Thanks again to Abbey for sorting it out so quickly and for fitting my new wheels and spacers (I'm getting SO lazy in my old age!!) :thumbs:

Well it wasn't so much a 'split' as the hose coming away from the end fitting due to it being so rotten and rusted. Quite worrying as brake hoses are made the same way!

Could well be worth taking at look at your own clutch hoses. If the end fittings are a rust ball, new hose time !

Thanks again to Abbey for sorting it out so quickly and for fitting my new wheels and spacers (I'm getting SO lazy in my old age!!) :thumbs:

+1 i changed all my lines to braided but bear in mind that these need inspected regularly aswell as the last thing you want is a brake line bursting on you :)