Vented to solid discs

Ricey

Sorry not Zed related again but the tinterweb seems to not cover this direction of change?

Bought some discs for the Fiesta which I didn't bother to check if they were solid or vented.......got the solid and turns out the existing ones are vented.

Can I use solid discs where the existing are vented (they are the right discs for the model of car just solid instead of vented)? Just saves me trapsing back to the shop

Sorry not Zed related again but the tinterweb seems to not cover this direction of change?

Bought some discs for the Fiesta which I didn't bother to check if they were solid or vented.......got the solid and turns out the existing ones are vented.

Can I use solid discs where the existing are vented (they are the right discs for the model of car just solid instead of vented)? Just saves me trapsing back to the shop

They'll do, you just wont have the same amount of cooling.

Do you mean drilled? Because if they are vented they will be thicker than solid discs and the calipers will be different to accomodate the different widths, although the diameters will be the same.

If you mean drilled (or grooved) it won't make any difference to the fitting.

Vented are like two separate discs joined in the middle by cooling veins which keep a gap between the 'two' discs. They could be around 30mm thick, where as a solid disc will be around 12mm thick. The pistons in the caliper wouldn't be able to take up that amount of slack, so you would need to change them.

Yes I mean vented not drilled or slotted.

That was my concern but I'm sure I remember years ago swapping solid for vented on a car and they but it does make sense what your saying - you would expect the caliper to be too slack.

Alex and Ricey,

Aren't the calipers different for vented discs? i.e wider. the solid disc is thinner so you would have more travel on the existing piston. fine with new pads but what happens when the pads get near to fully worn, will there be enough travel in the piston to work them????

Only a thought.

Why not just compare them with the originals and take it from there? It should be pretty obvious if one is thicker than the other.

They're definitely thinner mate - just wasn't sure if this caused an issue or not. Might have a tootle to the shop at lunch just to be on the safe side.

My post was based on the OP stating that: "they are the right discs for the model of car just solid instead of vented"

I assumed that he had done his measurements and the only query was solid or vented?

Alex. :)

Why not just compare them with the originals and take it from there? It should be pretty obvious if one is thicker than the other.

They're definitely thinner mate - just wasn't sure if this caused an issue or not. Might have a tootle to the shop at lunch just to be on the safe side.

If they are thinner then do not fit them as they are not suitable for your application.

Alex.

My post was based on the OP stating that: "they are the right discs for the model of car just solid instead of vented"

I assumed that he had done his measurements and the only query was solid or vented?

Alex. :)

Sorry what I meant was that I had a choice of solid or vented for this model of car (regardless of whether it has ABS or not)........seems odd that they would be different sizes.

I'll whip em back.

Cheers chaps.