Hard to change down to 2nd and down to 5th

chrisgunton

Recently I seem to be having problems when changing down into certain gears - namely 5th and 2nd.

Changing up seems fine, but changing down into them they don't always go smoothly (as if something is blocking it). Lifting off the clutch and pressing again seems to solve it though.

At first it was only 5th, but since I had it serviced (all fluids changed) 2nd seems to be a pain as well.

Where do I start? It moves off in 2nd, and 3rd just fine so I think the clutch is ok....I'm far from an expert tho!

• 2 months later...

The Zed doesn't have the smoothest gearbox in the world mainly due to weak synchros, especially on the earlier boxes. I find that with a bit of mechanical sympathy (i.e. double clutching) to take some strain off the synchros, it's much easier to work with, and to be honest double clutching on down shifts is just good practice anyway. With a big heavy V6 with a lot of inertia, you're asking a lot more of the system to get the engine up to speed on a downshift so double clutching and a bit of heel-toe really help out.

DB

Providing the proper fluids were added to the transmission and the transmission internals are okay, then I would try a new slave cyl. with proper fresh clutch fluid.

You must get all the air out the clutch hydraulic system or you will experience the issues that you are having.

All the above parts are in stock and good to go same/next day. :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if I can help you further with this mate. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Do you think braided clutch hoses are worth a go as well Alex?

I had problems with my Zed's gearbox, I found getting some fresh fluid in there is a good start. IMHO I found changing my driving style affected the gear changes the most.

Do you think braided clutch hoses are worth a go as well Alex?

I had problems with my Zed's gearbox, I found getting some fresh fluid in there is a good start. IMHO I found changing my driving style affected the gear changes the most.

The braided clutch line will certainly help and is well worth doing when you swap out the slave as it only takes an extra 5 minutes and only cost £25.00.

I have 8 left in stock at the moment for the external slave type.

(The concentric slave line is different: circa 2007 up.)

Alex. :)