You fecking dipstick - oil useage advice.

Stroudy

Well that was a waste of time. Trying to get a reading on the darn dipstick! I know im prob about to see a thousand 'repost' replies but what a useless bit of kit :scare:

Dipper showed on min mark on Sat after starting it to reverse out garage, switching off, then checking 30 mins later. So ordered some oil for a top up which went to put in yesterday but after I did the reccomended procedure (warm to operating temp then let stand for over 10mins to get a reading) it was still plastered over the entire dipstick after half an hour plus.

Does anyone know if you get an accurate reading from cold or does it have to be warmed up? As warming up and leaving for a while messes it all up on the stick.

Also if it has used down to the L mark after 7 months of weekend only and no 'hammering when cold' useage since the P3 is this about right? 07 GT, 30k, no oil smoke ever seen, v.good nic engine.

Thanks.

Schoolboy error. If you run the car then of course the oil is going to be everywhere. It is designed to do this.

Always check the oil when cold without running and always keep it topped up to the max. Biggest failure of zed engines was the bottom ends getting starved when oil level is low.

Yes cheers for that Neil :lol:

I know running an engine sprays the oill about all over the shop, but as i said i did it cold on Sat and it showed 'Min' but then tried the procedure written in the manual for checking (not changing) the oil level which states to run up to temp then turn off and let stand for 10 mins plus to let oil run back down (which i think is waaay to short - hence why i left it for 30mins plus). This was to see if i got different readings..

Am going to check 'cold' this arvo and top up as required.

Still a stuupid dipstick though :)

As you have the uprev engine, (and speaking from past experience of one) you are right to carefully check the engine oil regularly as they are known to burn oil (rings issue). No problem while the oil consumption is low but as Neil says I known ZED issue if oil levels get too low.

I'm sure I saw a post some while back about smearing something on the awful dipsticks (now resolved with the HR engines) to help read the oil level - maybe wishful thinking :blush::lol:

Yes cheers for that Neil :lol:

I know running an engine sprays the oill about all over the shop, but as i said i did it cold on Sat and it showed 'Min' but then tried the procedure written in the manual for checking (not changing) the oil level which states to run up to temp then turn off and let stand for 10 mins plus to let oil run back down (which i think is waaay to short - hence why i left it for 30mins plus). This was to see if i got different readings..

Am going to check 'cold' this arvo and top up as required.

Still a stuupid dipstick though :)

Haha I know mate. Mines isnt too bad due to not having the standard intake but it is very poorly designed.

I did try what you said about doing it after leaving it sit for a while but I found that even after an hour or two the oil is still caked all over the dipstick.