Paintshield - surely it has wear and tear issues too...?

stevie_350z

what you really really need is this ... self healing paint... yeah baby!!!!!

B)http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/sel ... xtrail.php

Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., has developed the world’s first clear paint that repairs scratches on painted car surfaces, including scratches from car-washing machines, off-road driving and fingernails. “Scratch Guard Coatâ€

wear and tear from what exactly? of course most things that would have scratched the paint will scratch the paintshield, but I'd rather have the paintshield scratched! same story for the scrapes.

But it won't degrade with just normal "wear and tear" as I intend it, ie washing the car, rain, etc. if not after quite a few years, i'd say

So my point is this: if the Paintshield gets scratched / scuffed and looks unsightly then you need to replace it... what's the difference between that and having a respray?

I would imagine that the Paintshielf is more durable and therefore needs to be replaced / fixed less often than the crappy paint that Nissan gives us... but if that new self-healing paint is on offer and you can get it in Kuro then I'm a buyer!!

Guest prescience
So my point is this: if the Paintshield gets scratched / scuffed and looks unsightly then you need to replace it... what's the difference between that and having a respray?

I would imagine that the Paintshielf is more durable and therefore needs to be replaced / fixed less often than the crappy paint that Nissan gives us... but if that new self-healing paint is on offer and you can get it in Kuro then I'm a buyer!!

You are correct in that it is more durable (far more). But I believe it comes down to user choice.... whatever option you go for, it is still noticeable on your car and no-one should pretend otherwise.

So do you prefer clean lines with a possible respray (if you want to keep the car yourself long-term, then good option) or are you mindful that the car has to be shifted at some stage - keep the film and/or remove at re-sale :)

You are correct in that it is more durable (far more). But I believe it comes down to user choice.... whatever option you go for, it is still noticeable on your car and no-one should pretend otherwise.

So do you prefer clean lines with a possible respray (if you want to keep the car yourself long-term, then good option) or are you mindful that the car has to be shifted at some stage - keep the film and/or remove at re-sale :)

So what you are saying is similar to the "keep the plastic over the seats" people. Basically you are saving the paintwork for the next owner :surrender::wacko:

My Z is up to 24k miles, all weathers and loads of motorways so plenty of salt and other crap. The front bumper of the Lexus before it was sh*gged at this mileage whilst the Z is still "near" perfect. I say near as I do have the odd mark on the paintshield by nowhere near as bad a naked paint.

I can see the point about "plastic on the seats" syndrome by IMO it is all about keeping the car neat and tidy for me. Whether you think it is worth +£300 is another matter and yes, whilst it isn't invisible I'm still convinced that for my type of car use it is brilliant.

I haven't scuffed the bumper to see how it behaves, but to be honest that isn't the main purpose of paintshield.

Personal choice but the best 1% of any car's value I have invested.

Let the fallout commence....

Guest prescience

For the avoidance of doubt, I had it on my car and recommend it - but it is noticeable; more so, I agree with a part bonnet and the line, but with full bonnet, you won't get the same sharpness of reflection of objects.

For peace of mind, to me it was also a worthwhile investment :thumbs:

I agree with a part bonnet and the line, but with full bonnet, you won't get the same sharpness of reflection of objects.

Agree with the part bonnet issues - the line 10 inches back from the nose is just too noticeable. I went for the bumper and mirrors only, but ended up with a ding on the bonnet itself. TBH I doubt if the Paintshield would have saved that as it was a bl**dy great lump of something from the other carriageway at about 90mph.

• 1 month later...

HI Guys sorry I lost the link to the forum and we have been shut down over Chrimbo so I had not picked up on this (plus I am swamped all the time so I can't get on forums as much personally these days) no excuse I know but hey stuff happens :)

Ok on Minor scratches and abrasions because the film is plastic it may well get some swirl marks or minor scratches or the odd scuff during its life but with the 3M film (only the 3M film incidentally) you can fix these with a quick run down the chemists, there are a couple of threads on this issue on either this forum or in the other place (sorry cant remember as I am on about 60 forums) :)

Basically what you do to keep it simple is if you have this, nip down to the chemists get a bottle of rubbing alchohol (otherwise called Iso Propyl alcohol) Get Some Bounty tissue and a lint free cloth. Put the Kettle on (might as well have a coffee while you wait) Then this is what you do....

Step 1 ensure you are not smoking do not operate electrical equipment and ensure you are in a well ventilated environment in other words open garage doors (yes Valerio this means you too) :)

Step 2 Then You saturate the bounty with the neat alcohol lay it on the surface of the film.

Step 3 pour a little moure on the bounty and around it to get a pool then glide (not rub read this twice) the liquid around the film

Step 4 keep some dry bounty to hand to mop up the run off prolonged exposure of the edges to to neat alcohol MAY cause lift so soak up the excess as you go.

Step 5 when you have coated the whole surface remove the tissue and go to the freshly boiled kettle make and dring coffee cocoa tea (whatever) go back 20-30 mins later and the alcohol will have evapourated off the car (do not light fag etc at this point) :)

Step 6 Gently buff film with lint free cloth.

This will remove most if not all of the scratches you get and on those threads one customer removed cat scratches from his Zed and the other took out bumper scuffs when his boss clipped the car (obviously this wont work if the graze has torn the film) :)

really simple to do and will cost you about 90p for the alcohol

Hope that helps

Cheers

Tom

PS if you need someone to talk you through this when you do it for the first time just call me 01476 592777 and I will walk you through it before you start.