Squeaking noise, possibly rear suspension...

danyboyj

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue?

The car's done 62,000 and the rear springs were down as an advisory on the MOT year before last for wearing - oddly they weren't flagged up on the previous MOT :S

So the squeaking itself seems to come from the back suspension, it noticeable when coasting at 20mph on an uneven road. But when I tap the accelerator (compressing the rear springs), the squeaks stop.

Any ideas? And what's the effort required to change the rear springs? Would I need new shocks too?

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue?

The car's done 62,000 and the rear springs were down as an advisory on the MOT year before last for wearing - oddly they weren't flagged up on the previous MOT :S

So the squeaking itself seems to come from the back suspension, it noticeable when coasting at 20mph on an uneven road. But when I tap the accelerator (compressing the rear springs), the squeaks stop.

Any ideas? And what's the effort required to change the rear springs? Would I need new shocks too?

Will more than likely be the ARB rear drop links.

I have plenty in stock if required :thumbs:

Rear springs are easy to change but I doubt if this will be your issue, also in stock if required.

Alex. :)

Rear springs are easy to change but I doubt if this will be your issue, also in stock if required.

Hello Alex, saw this post and wondered if I have same problem really, so may need a price on those ARB drop links too?

When turning left up an incline for example, the groan is quite horrendous and it does seem to roughly come from the rear off side.

Is there any sort of test I could do to confirm if it is the drop links, or would this kind of groaning on camber changes be the dead give away?

Cheers,

Adam

Hello Alex, saw this post and wondered if I have same problem really, so may need a price on those ARB drop links too?

When turning left up an incline for example, the groan is quite horrendous and it does seem to roughly come from the rear off side.

Is there any sort of test I could do to confirm if it is the drop links, or would this kind of groaning on camber changes be the dead give away?

Cheers,

Adam

Adam,

Simply disconnect the link and tie it up out the way and take the car for a spin to check that the noise is gone. :thumbs:

disconnect the link and tie it up out the way

I might try this myself :)

Does it make a difference which bolt you remove? Top or Bottom -> ttp://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41 ... AG0332.jpg

Thats not the ARB droplink by the way - if you look at the guide thats the little unnamed thingymabobby thats only present on the passenger side link - it attaches onto the bottom ARB bolt....don't know what it does or what its called.

disconnect the link and tie it up out the way

I might try this myself :)

Does it make a difference which bolt you remove? Top or Bottom -> ttp://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41 ... AG0332.jpg

Thats not the ARB droplink by the way - if you look at the guide thats the little unnamed thingymabobby thats only present on the passenger side link - it attaches onto the bottom ARB bolt....don't know what it does or what its called.

That is the headlamp levelling "device" ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem. Really squeeky when it is cold but fine when it warms up. Took it to my local mechanic and he says a dry joint on the rear shock. Only way to stop it is to replace it. Not a Mot failure yet. Mines done 60k also

I've not sorted this yet, since I can't identify the source 100% I'm reluctant to buy anything.

It takes about 5 mins of driving for the squeaking to start. Then after another 5-10 mins it stops - so it does seem to be affected by heat.

Let me know if you solve your problem