Where are Z's made?

sutski

All Zeds are from Japan. Although Nissan America bought back several 240Z a few years ago, restored them, painted them black and sold them through its U.S. dealers with a full 3 year warranty!

As an ex-Nissan dealer mechanic, I visited the factory a few times on courses and stuff. Very impressive! Any factory that has 3 dedicated motorway junctions is gonna be big. My favourite bit was the engine start up line. The engines would come along, all connected up but with no sumps. The conveyor would lower each of them into a big tray with oil in the bottom and fire them up for the first time, at 5000rpm! So much for not revving engines too much until they are run in! Hearing 10 K11 Micra engines burst into life at 5000rpm with no exhausts every 5 minutes makes you look at these bloody little pensioner carriages with a sort of respect.

The conveyor would lower each of them into a big tray with oil in the bottom and fire them up for the first time, at 5000rpm! So much for not revving engines too much until they are run in! Hearing 10 K11 Micra engines burst into life at 5000rpm with no exhausts every 5 minutes makes you look at these bloody little pensioner carriages with a sort of respect.

:scare:

that's cool B)

well when i bought my Z - my dealer told me that all Z's (maybe just the ones in the UK) were made in Sunderland !? And i haven't questioned that info - as there was no reason to - does anyone with contradictory info want to suggest why that's a well known mis-nomer !?

cool - i am not totally surprised ever that a dealer doesn't know his/her arse from his/her elbow - just thoguht i would ask why this is being branded about by dealers - because i personally don't give a monkeys if the car i drive was built in Britain or Japan - however they gave me the impression that it was a statement of quality to say 'oh yes sir - these are all bult in GREAT Britian Sir'

but anyway - bla bla bla....

Guest prescience

Just an additional note - it is true that all Zs pass through Sunderland to get prepared for use in the UK; such things as alarms and bluetooth are fitted there :)

"Yeah mate! All 350Zs are made in the U.K.!" said the salesman?!

:scare: Salesmen will say anything to close the deal. It's hard wired into their brain! If you had asked if they were made of wood he would have probably answered "Only the finest oak, sir!"

I dunno if it is still the case but the way it used to work was, if the VIN started with an "S" it was made in Sunderland (I.E. SJNFAAK11 = Micra), a J would indicate Japan and a "V" would indicate Spain (Terrano IIs and stuff)

Just while we are talking about Nissan its self, isn't it sad that the new Micra has a Renault gearbox, some electrics and floorpan?

This no doubt will make the blood of any Nissan mechanic (any mechanic!) run cold!

I know... but the T/M and floor are not that bad actually...and with a bit of N tinkering they make them a little bit more reliable...

So Nissan get a tiny gearbox, a couple of diesel engines from Renault... what does Nissan Give Renault? A state of the art V6 and know-how of how to make their cars more reliable... :dry:

me thinks someone is laughing his head off... in FRENCH! :D

never mind...