Bowmore Single Malt and the Z

ianphampton

Thoughts after a 4 day weekend in Scotland. . . .

There are so many things which are over hyped, and then disappoint when you actually get them.

However, there are just a few which always deliver. One is Bowmore single malt - that smoky flavour gets me every time I taste it, it's just. . . .sublime.

The other is driving the Z. After 4 days, from the M74 run to the A roads to Edinburgh and then the roads through the glens, and she performed faultlessly through them all.

The satisfaction as you put the power on and she pulls out of the corner. You don't even have to do it fast, you probably know what the Scottish roads are like, they're narrow, road surface isn't always that great, so often you're only doing 45 but the sense of the car being just-so-right as you come out the corner and accelerate up the hill. . . .

On one of the other threads (can't find it, now, perhaps someone else can put the link in) somebody asked "What's the best thing to buy my new Z" and several replies were "Petrol - just go and drive it" and I thought "How right - just go and drive it"

After months of the nightmare M6 and the average speed on English motorways being now about the same as a horse in 1895 - 4 days driving in Scotland restores your joy of motoring - and the Z is one of those very few, those very precious things which never disappoints, she always delivers. . . . and your heart lifts every time!

Still. . . back in Manchester now, and back to work tomorrow. :thumbdown:

Ahhh, our roads are good and it's against the law not to go out and enjoy them :thumbs: I presume you stuck to the mainland?, which is uber fantastic :teeth: You're close to Wales though, which offers a similar experience, on a tamed down sort of way :p

Your choice of whisky is, informed, but not a patch IMO, on other Islay whiskies, personal favourite, Ardbeg, closely followed by Col Isla, Quarter Cask Laphroaig, Lagavulin (sp), Bunahabhain (sp) then Bowmore Mariner.

You have summed up what owning a Zed is all about and where to find that experience, if you like the "wilder" experience, try looking here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49707, B)

Really liked the 'forecasting stone' in your post.

And, yes, going to the islands is definitely on the list. The only problem I have is the lady complains that the boot of the Z (I have a roadster) doesn't allow her to take the full selection of clothes so we're stuck on going for a few days only at the moment - she's pressing me to get a luggage rack for the boot so she can take more. (I'll obviously not get any extra room. . . . its just for her) When we get that sorted out, Cal Mac will hear from me.

Tempting the wrath of all you Scots. . . I also enjoy Gentleman Jack which is a product of Lynchberg, Tennessee. (Sorry guys, please don't report this post to the moderators for bad language!)