Starting a Zed that's been stood for a year

Danny350z

Cheers. Sent him a PM.

Next question, how much oil is too much? When I added some more oil (as it was a bit low), a bit more went in at the end that I'd intended. Now when I check the dipstick it's a bit over the H mark (just near that first bend in the stick). Should I attempt to drain some or is it okay to leave it as it is?

NVM: I see it's supposed to be between the L and H so I'll get some tubing and syphon the rest out, saves having to drain it. :lol:

Cheers. Sent him a PM.

Next question, how much oil is too much? When I added some more oil (as it was a bit low), a bit more went in at the end that I'd intended. Now when I check the dipstick it's a bit over the H mark (just near that first bend in the stick). Should I attempt to drain some or is it okay to leave it as it is?

NVM: I see it's supposed to be between the L and H so I'll get some tubing and syphon the rest out, saves having to drain it. :lol:

syphoning it is going to be ny on impossible, i wouldnt like to give it a go anyway. jst crack the sump bolt and let a bit trickle out then re check.

it will be miles easier and alot quicker and more accurate :thumbs:

I was planning to use a large syringe and bit of plastic tubing?

Draining it means lifting it (not much room in the garage) and removing a load of bolts and something from the underneath, and the opinions I've read elsewhere suggest it'll be a pain trying to plug it whilst there's oil still inside.

I was planning to use a large syringe and bit of plastic tubing?

Draining it means lifting it (not much room in the garage) and removing a load of bolts and something from the underneath, and the opinions I've read elsewhere suggest it'll be a pain trying to plug it whilst there's oil still inside.

There's usually oil in there when you do an oilchange, so it's no biggie tbh.

Just lift the car and and crack the sump plug and let enough oil trickle out so the level is within limits.

Push the Zed onto the driveway/street if possible.

Or do it after you have replaced them sparkplugs.

FYI:

Oil needed for oil change is 4.5 ltr without oilfilter change, 4.7 ltr with oilfilter change :)

Just like any other oil change,

remove oil filler cap, jack car up, remove sump plug, drain oil, change oil filter, replace sump plug, check filter and sump plug for tightness, lower car back to ground, fill with oil, check oil level, replace oil filler cap, done

Lol, I read on another forum you had to remove a load of bolts and a big panel to gain access but I wasn't sure how accurate that was.

I've not lifted the car up yet (was planning to do it whilst I wait on the new plugs), I wanted a general idea of what I'm looking for. I managed to get the spark plugs out, I'm sure I'll manage to do this.

I'd love to take it to a garage but a) Royal Mail have yet to deliver the replacement plugs and B) I don't want to start it up with too much oil in it.

Well, after almost a 2 week delay thanks to Royal Mail, they finally decided to deliver the new spark plugs (along with an assortment of other packages we'd assumed were nicked or lost).

Fitted them and it started on the first go.

Unfortunately, when fastening one of the coilovers back down the bolt head sheared off (happened just as it was starting to get tight) so now I've one coilover that isn't secured and a bolt I can't get back out. Will I have any problems with this (the wiring and cables above it are holding it somewhat firmly in place)?

Also, I'm still unsure on this oil issue. Now it starts and I can let the oil cycle a bit I can't get a decent reading from the beyond useless dipstick. It's over but I can't really tell how much as it varies every time I put the stick in, sometimes just slightly over the H, sometimes about 1-2cm over. At most it's going to be a litre over (what I put in before I did the plugs) but then that depends on what the oil level was at the time I garaged it. As it has to be MOT'd anyway I might just get them to do the oil change, so will I be safe driving it there? What should the oil pressure be at idle?