DVD ripper - geek advice

UNABASHED

Im looking to get rid of all my DVD's as they are taking up far too much room! Looking for a decent ripper to put them all onto HDD before I get shot of them and wondering if anyone can advise a good one?

Looking for one 1:1 ripper with no loss in quality, bonus if it also converts formats.

To do this job without too much of a head ache you will need more than one program. Get AnyDVD first. What this does is scans a dvd when you put it in your machine, removes any protection and fake cells and then makes it available on your computer like this. You can then pretty much use and dvd ripper you choose as the hard part is already done. The DVD ripper I use is Any DVD Cloner Platinum strangly enough the 2 programs are not by the same company. If your gonna do Blu-ray too i recommend getting DVD Fab for those, although that can be used for ripping too.

I started to do this using DVD Fab HD Decryptor. I did a few (taking about 3 hours each) and they seemed okay. However i checked through them and the sound got gradually more and more out of sync as the movie went on... :bangin:

It may have been my laptop though as it's not the best spec.

I assume when you say get rid of them, you mean you are putting them in the loft, as copying them without the original is illegal ;)

I used to use DVD Shrink, but no doubt thats been superceded by something by now. :blush:

To do this job without too much of a head ache you will need more than one program. Get AnyDVD first. What this does is scans a dvd when you put it in your machine, removes any protection and fake cells and then makes it available on your computer like this. You can then pretty much use and dvd ripper you choose as the hard part is already done. The DVD ripper I use is Any DVD Cloner Platinum strangly enough the 2 programs are not by the same company. If your gonna do Blu-ray too i recommend getting DVD Fab for those, although that can be used for ripping too.

downloaded DVD Cloner 8 but it only seems to want to copy DVD to DVD with no option to copy to HDD, is this correct?

P.S. I havent yet downloaded anyDVD!

downloaded DVD Cloner 8 but it only seems to want to copy DVD to DVD with no option to copy to HDD, is this correct?

P.S. I havent yet downloaded anyDVD!

I bet DVD cloner is probably a different program to Any DVD Cloner Platinum, lots of them call themselves the same sort of things. you can find out more information about Any DVD Cloner here http://www.slysoft.com/en/

One thing to keep in mind is the Cinavia DRM system which is embedded in the audio tracks of some new DVDs and BluRays.

If the movie is not being played from its original format then Cinavia enabled streaming devices will halt the playback.

If you're planning on using a PS3 as your streaming device then you'll have to make sure you do not upgrade the system software on it beyond 3.60 and preferably not beyond 3.50. With 3.60 there is a workaround but if you update to 3.61 then there's no known workaround. I'll leave it to your google skills to find any necessary workarounds or you can PM me if you like.